Question System posts only sometimes

ArtDeco3

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
For the first 3.5 years, there weren’t any problems with the computer I built. But recently, my motherboard failed. After replacing it and adding a new M.2 SSD with clean install of Windows, it was running better than ever before! For about a month.... suddenly, I realized that the computer couldn’t wake from sleep. The fans spun for half a second and it died.
It wouldn’t come back on either. For a while. After I waited a few minutes, I tried again and the computer came on without issues. But after sleeping, it died again.

Now it’s at the point that I’ve tried almost everything, and I’ve gone through troubleshooting guides multiple times.

It seems that the computer will start if I leave it unplugged for many hours, and then try to turn it on. It will run well too, and there are no issues running benchmarks and games with high settings. Is there something wrong with my power supply or motherboard? I can’t understand why it has such a difficult time booting.

I’ve spent hours over the last 5 days trying to fix it.

Yes, I tried the RAM. I tested it many times, and an error never arose. I tried each stick on its own in each slot. The CPU operates fine and with good temps. I noticed that the GPU had a weird effect. It is a energy consuming large GTX 980Ti that takes 2x 8 PCIe power connectors. When the GPU was connected, instead of using integrated graphics, the computer would not attempt to power on every 5 seconds, and it was even less likely that I would get lucky and get a POST. One time only. But just yesterday, after not touching the PC for about 18 hours, my friend came to my house and saw my computer. I told him it was broken, pressed the power button, and it instantly came to life. But after sleeping, it died once again. I used it for a few hours first, before letting it sleep. There were no issues. But since then, I haven’t been able to get a POST.

Should I go to a repair shop? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe it’s the addition of an M.2 drive? Could it be that after a few weeks, my computer decided to reject it?
However, it’s removal didn’t change anything...

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K (no overclock)
Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Fatal1ty K4
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws IV 16GB (4x4GB, rated for 3000MHz, currently set to 2133, timings are 15-15-15-35)
GPU: GTX 980Ti Zotac Amp! Extreme Edition
Boot Drive: Kingston A1000 240GB M.2
Storage Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
Case: Corsair 450D
CPU Cooler: Corsair GT110i
Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray Drive (I have forgotten the exact model number)

I built this computer in September of 2015.

ArtDeco3

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Thank you for your reply! I tried overclocking long ago, with no problems. But I didn't really need it so I turned it off.

Also, I have tried onboard graphics and the GPU. With both, the computer has trouble starting.

I am using the computer now. As long as I do not turn it off or put it in sleep mode, it will operate with no problems.
But it will not turn on until I disconnect the power cord for a long time, apparently several hours. I tried to turn my computer on at around 11 last night. Now, at 5:10, my computer started with no problems.... Just like yesterday

I wonder what would cause a computer to start, only if it hasn't been connected to a power source? I wondered about capacitors. Could one holding its charge somehow be effecting startup in the motherboard or the PSU? The only thing is, it works so perfectly once it starts, only sleep or shutting down kills it.

Also, if I put to sleep and quickly wake up, it may work. Updates have also worked.

TRENDING THREADS