MSI X470 gaming plus (new)
Ryzen 7 2700x (new)
HyperX 3200 32GB ram (new)
Samsung 500GB ssd (boot drive) (new)
GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Corsair Gold 850W power
Various HDDs
Windows 10 (unactivated)

I am having an issue where the PC posts to a black display with a single, solid, white dash in the middle of the upper left quadrant of the screen. When this happens, no power is given to any peripherals (no USB, PS/2 power/response), and the reset button on the tower does not work, only holding the power button turns the system off. This happens before the MSI logo appears.

This black screen can last anywhere from 1-8+ minutes.

Once it's had it's derp moment, the PC boots normally and with speeds expected of an SSD boot drive.

This is my second mobo with this issue. I had the first RMA’ed, assuming it was a chipset issue.
To my knowledge, all drivers are up to date.

I’m completely stuck and could use any help/advice.

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like a possible power problem. If you think the power supply is OK, try disconnecting all HDDs and USB devices except the KB & mouse and see if it will boot. If so, try connecting them back one by one until you find the culprit.
It sounds like a possible power problem. If you think the power supply is OK, try disconnecting all HDDs and USB devices except the KB & mouse and see if it will boot. If so, try connecting them back one by one until you find the culprit.

Solution
Mar 3, 2020
After writing this question, I found a similar issue posted an solved(?) here. I'm hoping this is all there is to my issue as well. Will test and update.

I hope it's not a power issue. I'm still under warrenty for the PSU, but I have no idea where my PoP would be. I'll have to test this over the next few days to see.

Try booting with one RAM stick; if it doesn't boot switch the sticks. If this doesn't help, it's likely a bad PSU.

I tried this previously to no avail unfortunately.