Question System powers off by itself. Bad mobo?

Hyperlynx

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
My system has now started to power off from time to time. Just an instant, hard loss of power - no shut down, as far as I can tell.

It's happened while I've been using it, playing a game, after some indeterminate period of time. However, twice it's happened when I unplugged a USB device (I think both times it was my 2FA token).

The trouble seemed to start up after installing a new hard disk, but it hasn't gone away after removing that hard disk.

I grabbed a system monitoring app and logged the hardware sensor data on a one second interval, used the system till the problem happened again, then booted it back up and sent the data somewhere else so I could look at it. Absolutely nothing unusual happened, that I can see, in the leadup to the data cutting off. I had thought it might be overheating, but the temperature data is absolutely fine.

I recently had two drives die out of the blue (post here), and as a result I replaced the PSU with a brand new 650W Corsair.

Given that it's not overheating, it's not the PSU, it can apparently be provoked via USB (while also happening randomly), and given I had this other problem of drives dying, that just leaves the motherboard as the only possible culprit, right? It's almost exactly three years old, a Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H. Time to replace it?

System specs follow, including purchase dates since my system is a mix of different parts purchased and installed at different times.
Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M-D3H (15/12/2016).
PSU: Corsair CX 650 (23/12/2019).
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K (15/12/2016 ).
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 (15/12/2016).
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 (26/12/2017).
Storage:
  • 1 TB HDD ??? (??? old. years and years ago).
  • 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME (18/12/2019).
  • 2 TB HDD ??? (second hand, installed ~20//01/2020, removed ~22/01/2020).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS