[SOLVED] System powers off on its own

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
really could use some help. I just upgraded back to AMD got the ryzen 7 2700X and using the stock wraith cooler with it. The rest of my system specs mentioned below

Windows 10 pro 64 bit
16 gb ddr 4 corsair vengnace 2400mhz ram
Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Asus Geforce 980 video card
Coolermaster 1200W Psu

Im facing a strange issue where my pc is turning off randomly which would normally indicate either cpu overheating or psu issues but i cant figure out which. On my earlier system i was using the Coolermaster V8 GTS cooler and switched it out for the wraith cooler on this system. Is the wraith cooler that unreliable that a little dust in it would cause this or can I safely say its the psu failing? I was considering pulling off the wraith cooler and switching back to the coolermaster V8 GTS but that would be a really big task and im not sure it would solve the issue. What do you all think it could be failing psu or cpu overheating or something completely different which i havent even thought off? The last time the system powered off and the only way to turn it on is to turn the power supply off completely or pull the psu cable out and wait for the mobo lights to go off then turn it on again and after which the pc would come on.

Solution
Go to power options and check "balanced"."Change plan settings">"Put computer to sleep never".You may also want to check in your bios if theres an automatic "turn off" function.If you are not sure about the temperatures there are alot of softwares out there to check them.
Heat leads to thermal throttling, not crashes or power offs (by and large).

Hard power off is almost always a PSU issue. I would not get any Coolermaster PSU and you definitely don't need anywhere near 1200W. You should be fine with a 650W quality unit like a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, Corsair TX/Rm, or EVGA G2/3.

Seems like you may have overspent on the mobo and underspent on fast ram as Ryzen likes 3000mhz or better for best performance.

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
The ram and gpu were left over from the last build. I bought the 1200w platinum just to be future ready I had actually bought an antec one but that died and I got it replaced with this one. So it's the PSU only it's got a 7 year warranty and it was bought March 2016 so I can get it replaced under warranty.

Gotcha. My first thought would be PSU but there's not way to tell for sure without testing components.

Maybe start with stripping the system down to a single stick of ram, just the boot drive, unnecessary USB disconnected, etc and try to force a power off. If it doesn't, then start adding things back in til it does fail. Might help to isolate what is doing it. OR, if you have a spare PSU or a friend with one can try that before RMAing the PSU.

nick_v15

Prominent
BANNED
Jan 7, 2018
Go to power options and check "balanced"."Change plan settings">"Put computer to sleep never".You may also want to check in your bios if theres an automatic "turn off" function.If you are not sure about the temperatures there are alot of softwares out there to check them.

Solution

silentwitness

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
unfortunately no store like that here. Might be able to get it from amazon and return it but not sure. The computer is setup to never sleep and thermals are ok it runs at about 45 degrees and goes up to 60 degrees under load which should be fine. Will check the bios once and see for that.