[SOLVED] System powers on and off for split second. Requires removal and reinsertion of cmos battery and ram to boot properly

Jan 11, 2022
SYSTEM SPECS:

Motherboard: MSI A320M Gaming Pro (MS-7A39) (1st Gen)
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G with onboard Vaga 8 Graphics (APU)
HEATSINK: standard AMD cooler
RAM: 8GB DDR4- 2400MHz + 4GB DDR4- 2133MHz
PSU: Cooler Master V450 Semi Modular- 450Watt
GPU: Onboard
HDD: Western Digital SSD- 120GB (windows drive) + 2 other internal HDD's for storage.

PROBLEM:

A few weeks ago the power in my area went off due to someone stealing the cables; this resulted in the shut down of power to my household and everything else connected, including my PC which was powered on and running at the time.(*NB there was no updates of any sort running at the time only a movie was playing and the internet browser was open)

The PC shut down in the past a few times, not due to stealing of cables, but due to power cuts (aka Load-shedding) in the area, so its not the first time my PC shut down like this.
My Pc is connected to a surge plug. When a sudden power outage happens I always switch off the power supply, then switch off at the wall where power cable is connected to, then unplug it from the wall socket.
Before the power comes back on I plug the power cable into wall socket, switch it on, then switch on psu and finally power on the pc.

Although the power cuts i describe has happened a few times, it's never given the problem that it's giving now.

This time around, when I wanted to power the pc back on, it literally went on for a split second and powered off again.(When it went on everything went on, all lights on Mobo and fans went on). I tried switching it on again and it didn't go on at all.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

Step 1:
Switched pc off and Unplugged cable from pc, waited few minutes and plugged back in, the same thing happened, went on for split second and powered off; switched it back on, didn't go on at all.
This kept happening, so the only time it goes on for a split second is when i switch off the psu and unplug it from the wall socket and reinsert and switch on.

Step 2:
Removed and reinserted 1 Ram then 2, swapped the ram in different slots, switched it on same thing happened.

Step 3:
Removed all non essential HDD's and peripherals and inserted 1 RAM Stick at a time; so That I only have mouse and C:\drive connected; repeated step 1, nothing changed, still goes on for split second and off again.

Step 4. - Checking components:
Removed entire Mobo from chassis and psu.
Did psu paper clip test, psu works fine also no obvious physical damaged to any cables.
Nor any noticable damage to any pins or any swollen capacitors or any other damage on Motherboard.

step 5:
-put mobo on non conductive surface.- Psu cables attached to mobo at this point: 24 Pin motherboard cable, 8 pin CPU cable.
-all other psu cables including switch wires was disconnected.
-1 Ram stick inserted ( tried both separately and together)
-cpu and heat sink still attached.
-cmos battery still inserted.

-powered on motherboard by touching two power pins with tip of screwdriver. PC Went on for split second and off again.

Step 6:
Replaced thermal paste on cpu. checked pins, no damage or bent pins.
made sure heatsink is properly secured.
Tried again still same problem.

Step 7:
-Removed cmos battery waited 30+ seconds before reinserting
-1 RAM still connected
-Powered Pc on, Still same problem.

Decided to pack everything away as I Assumed it was Mobo Problem.

The next day I decided to try again as it was bothering me and can't understand why this is happening.

Step 8:
Prepared everything according to step 5. However, Both RAM sticks and CMOS battery was removed from the motherboard until the next day.
When I reinserted CMOS battery, both ram sticks and c:\drive and powered pc on, it finaly posted with a message saying ...Devices changed (cpu or memory) or CMOS have been cleared. Please enter setup to configure system.
Press F1 Run Setup ( enter bios)
press F2 Load default

I Selected F2 and everything was working perfect no blue screen or error messages.
I then Restarted system and entered Bios. Bios was reset and had the updated bios version date (12/02/2019) which i updated (2-3) years ago with 1st gen Cpu before I could use the 2nd gen cpu (Current) in this motherboard.

- I then shut down the pc and tried switching it on again, it went on for split second and powered off again.

Step 9.
Inserted motherboard, attached all psu cables and 1 hard drive into chassis.
before powering on removed both ram sticks and cmos battery and left it for few minutes then powered on, still same problem.

FINAL TRY:
Decided to remove both ram sticks and cmos battery and tried the next day, and voila it powered back on.
The pc has been running since yesterday Morning 11/Jan/2022. I am posting this thread from the pc in question.

CONCLUSION:
I have done research to find a solution but there seems to be non as everyone's issue is a bit different.
One solution that stood out was "clearing RTC RAM"
The problem with trying this is that clearing RTC RAM might reset my bios back to the factory version which would require me to obtain a 1st gen CPU again (which won't be possible any time soon) to update the bios in order for my current 2nd gen Cpu to work in the board.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you need anything else from me that would help in finding a solution.
Any help/ advice/ solutions would be greatly appreciated. I need to be able to shut down and power back on normally without having to remove Ram and CMOS for half a day or more.

Solution
It seems you might need to install a new power supply.

Cooler Master refers to their V450 Semi-modular power supply as a legacy product, so I assume yours has been in your PC for a number of years (~8?). From my experience, power supplies that are approaching their end-of-life get less reliable and just can't supply the needed power all the time---for example, an optical drive spinning up on a system with a near end-of-life power supply is loading it just enough to shutdown your system. A replacement would be inexpensive and would go a long way in determing the actual problem.

After installing a new supply you want to (in this order): (1) Make sure the power supply's switch is set to the OFF position. (2) Plug in your power cord...
Jan 27, 2022
It seems you might need to install a new power supply.

Cooler Master refers to their V450 Semi-modular power supply as a legacy product, so I assume yours has been in your PC for a number of years (~8?). From my experience, power supplies that are approaching their end-of-life get less reliable and just can't supply the needed power all the time---for example, an optical drive spinning up on a system with a near end-of-life power supply is loading it just enough to shutdown your system. A replacement would be inexpensive and would go a long way in determing the actual problem.

After installing a new supply you want to (in this order): (1) Make sure the power supply's switch is set to the OFF position. (2) Plug in your power cord to an energized wall socket and to the power supply. (3) Switch your power supply to the ON position. (4) Finally, turn your system on. I write this because Gigabyte warns in one of their power supply manuals under "Cautions and Warnings": "Do not plug or unplug the power cord when the power supply is on. It will cause serious damage to your components." Better safe than sorry, right?

Good luck.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS