[SOLVED] System powers up then shuts down randomly. Not even I am playing games

banerjeeabhra47

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
I upgraded my old build with motherboard, cpu and RAM. 2 months, the system was performing well. My first issue was the system would not post.
I submitted the motherboard for RMA. They updated the bios and returned it to me.

Next I reseated everything and turned the system on. It turned ON but turned off immediately. Sometimes I was able to navigate to windows and then the system was turned off. Sometimes it would just turn on and then turn off after 2 seconds and sometimes the the system would not turn on at all.

Here are my specs:

1 Ryzen 5 3600
2 Gkill Ripjaws 2x 8 gb RAM
  1. MSI B450 gaming plus max motherboad
  2. 2 X Samsung evo ssds
  3. Asus gtx 1080ti
  4. Corsair Hx 850 watt psu.
  5. Antec kuhler 240 liquid cooler

I was sure that it was a PSU issue.

I did the following:

1. Changed the PSU issue not resolved.(not to mention checked cables again and again)

2. Changed the GPU issue not resolved.

3. Tried with 1 RAM stick same issue.

4. Reseated the cooler same issue.

5. Sometime I was able to go into Bios before shutdown the cpu temp was 35 to 37.

6. Breadboard the mobo. Same issue.

7. Checked the power button of the case. No issue in he power button. ( Sorted the pins with a screwdriver).

8. Reset CMOS. I got the post that Cmos has been cleared. booted to windows and the system shut down.

I am at a loss here. Can anyone help me out??

Solution
It's not a question, specifically, of the memory "speed", but the memory kit "model" in particular. Not all memory kits are compatible with all motherboards, and in fact, there are a LOT of memory kits that are within the speed supported by a given motherboard that simply will not work with that motherboard for whatever reason. It might be something about the makeup of the components used on that memory kit. It could be something in the secondary or tertiary timings that it doesn't like. Might be the type of memory chips. Lot's of reasons why something might not play nice with something else.

Not saying that IS the case, but it's certainly worth investigating, or, you can simply return those sticks and get a kit that IS guaranteed to...
Changed the PSU to WHAT? Yes, it might make a difference. Probably DOES make a difference. Was the unit you changed it to new or used and what was the model?

Does this problem occur WITHOUT any drives attached? In other words, if you disconnect ALL drives and go into the BIOS, does the system still shut down at some point?

If not, then download Ubuntu or another Linux distro and create a bootable flash drive with it. Then boot to the Ubuntu/Linux media and see if the shut down occurs in that OS, or if it ONLY occurs in Windows.

Also, WHICH DIMM slots are you populating? You should be using the second and fourth slots, A2 and B2, or just A2 (DDR4_1 for some boards) if only one DIMM is in use. What is the EXACT model of the memory kit?

Also, using some kind of magnification, inspect the CPU very closely for bent pins. Obviously that will require removing it from the motherboard. If ANY pins seem wrong, they probably are.

When you upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, did you do a CLEAN install of Windows at that time or are you using the same Windows installation from before you upgraded?

banerjeeabhra47

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
Changed the PSU to WHAT? Yes, it might make a difference. Probably DOES make a difference. Was the unit you changed it to new or used and what was the model?

Does this problem occur WITHOUT any drives attached? In other words, if you disconnect ALL drives and go into the BIOS, does the system still shut down at some point?

If not, then download Ubuntu or another Linux distro and create a bootable flash drive with it. Then boot to the Ubuntu/Linux media and see if the shut down occurs in that OS, or if it ONLY occurs in Windows.

Also, WHICH DIMM slots are you populating? You should be using the second and fourth slots, A2 and B2, or just A2 (DDR4_1 for some boards) if only one DIMM is in use. What is the EXACT model of the memory kit?

Also, using some kind of magnification, inspect the CPU very closely for bent pins. Obviously that will require removing it from the motherboard. If ANY pins seem wrong, they probably are.

When you upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, did you do a CLEAN install of Windows at that time or are you using the same Windows installation from before you upgraded?

Answer to your questions one by one:

1. Changed the PSU to WHAT? Yes, it might make a difference. Probably DOES make a difference. Was the unit you changed it to new or used and what was the model?

Ans - I changed it to a cooler master v850 watt PSU. My friend is currently working with this PSU.

2. Does this problem occur WITHOUT any drives attached? In other words, if you disconnect ALL drives and go into the BIOS, does the system still shut down at some point?

Ans - Yes it does shutdown while in BIOS.

3. Also, WHICH DIMM slots are you populating? You should be using the second and fourth slots, A2 and B2, or just A2 (DDR4_1 for some boards) if only one DIMM is in use. What is the EXACT model of the memory kit?

Ans- yes I am using the 2 nd and 4th slots. Exact model of kit is: Gskill ripjaws F4-3600C19S 8GVRB

4. Also, using some kind of magnification, inspect the CPU very closely for bent pins. Obviously that will require removing it from the motherboard. If ANY pins seem wrong, they probably are.

ANS- I was very careful with the cpu pins and still checked them. all ok.

5. When you upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, did you do a CLEAN install of Windows at that time or are you using the same Windows installation from before you upgraded?

Ans- Yes I did a clean install.

I would contact G.Skill for validation of that memory kit on that motherboard. Their memory configurator tool does not currently list ANY 3600mhz G.Skill memory kits as being validated for the B450 Gaming Plus Max. I know this might be an oversight, as we know there are a number of 3600mhz kits that work fine with B450 platforms after BIOS updates so it's likely a case of a lack of revisiting the validation of newer memory kits on B450 by G.Skill, but it would be a good idea to contact their tech support and ask for verification in any case.

Especially since that memory kit is NOT on the motherboard QVL list either.

Memory issues can absolutely cause instantaneous shut downs like you are experiencing.

banerjeeabhra47

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
I would contact G.Skill for validation of that memory kit on that motherboard. Their memory configurator tool does not currently list ANY 3600mhz G.Skill memory kits as being validated for the B450 Gaming Plus Max. I know this might be an oversight, as we know there are a number of 3600mhz kits that work fine with B450 platforms after BIOS updates so it's likely a case of a lack of revisiting the validation of newer memory kits on B450 by G.Skill, but it would be a good idea to contact their tech support and ask for verification in any case.

Especially since that memory kit is NOT on the motherboard QVL list either.

Memory issues can absolutely cause instantaneous shut downs like you are experiencing.
ok, I will contact them but as I understand that 3600 RAM are tuned down by the motherboards to the operating values.

It's not a question, specifically, of the memory "speed", but the memory kit "model" in particular. Not all memory kits are compatible with all motherboards, and in fact, there are a LOT of memory kits that are within the speed supported by a given motherboard that simply will not work with that motherboard for whatever reason. It might be something about the makeup of the components used on that memory kit. It could be something in the secondary or tertiary timings that it doesn't like. Might be the type of memory chips. Lot's of reasons why something might not play nice with something else.

Not saying that IS the case, but it's certainly worth investigating, or, you can simply return those sticks and get a kit that IS guaranteed to be compatible with your motherboard. If you want to do that, then I'd suggest using the G.Skill memory configurator or the Corsair memory finder tools. Or I can point you in the right direction of a kit that is compatible as well. Or you can simply choose a kit from the motherboard QVL list.

Solution

banerjeeabhra47

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015

Not saying that IS the case, but it's certainly worth investigating, or, you can simply return those sticks and get a kit that IS guaranteed to be compatible with your motherboard. If you want to do that, then I'd suggest using the G.Skill memory configurator or the Corsair memory finder tools. Or I can point you in the right direction of a kit that is compatible as well. Or you can simply choose a kit from the motherboard QVL list.
Ok thanks, sure I very much like your help.

Of course it's available. The Flare-X is probably, actually, the better choice, because it is designed specifically for use with Ryzen platforms and has timings which are favorable to Ryzen motherboards. But the Ripjaws are also Samsung B-die memory chip sticks and very high quality, and known to work well with Ryzen as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (£98.13 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £98.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 07:04 BST+0100

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (£108.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £108.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 07:02 BST+0100

banerjeeabhra47

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
Of course it's available.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (£98.13 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £98.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 07:04 BST+0100

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (£108.59 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £108.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 07:02 BST+0100
I am from India (its a pain to build a pc here).

Yes, I'm well aware of the troubles with hardware availability in India. I help members from there all the time. You will simply need to use the G.Skill memory configurator or Corsair memory finder to find kits that are compatible with your motherboard AND available to you I guess.

Just FYI, ANY 2x16GB 3200mhz kit you find that is CL14, WILL be a Samsung B-die kit and will work with any Ryzen system, if you can find them and afford them. Otherwise, you'll want to stick to kits showing as compatible on the G.Skill and Corsair lists or the motherboard QVL. No idea what all is available to you in you exact region, but there are these.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (₹11856.34 @ Newegg India)
Total: ₹11856.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-30 11:41 IST+0530