[SOLVED] System problems, GPU and maybe more

lxstuart

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hi there, having some issues with my system, specs pretty much shown in sig.

A week ago, after returning home from working away for the week, I started my PC so get one long beep, followed by 3 short beeps. GPU not detected.
I reseated the GPU, and all was fine, worked without issue all weekend.
After another week away, I've come home to the same 1 long, 3 short beeps. Have tried reseating, to no avail

Thinking it could be a bad GPU, I switched it out for an old HD5850 I had spare. No beeps this time, but it seems it will only run as a default VGA card. Tried installing latest drivers for this card, catalyst suite updates, but it doesn't install drivers. Claims there is no AMD card detected.
I've also had a popup to say there is no power to my sound card, so now starting to think is could be a PSU issue perhaps?
Not had any of the typical PSU faults, but the R9 295 is by far the biggest power drain in the system.

I did also try switching the CMOS battery, which hasn't helped. (always worth trying the cheap fix first).

Any ideas?

Solution
Ah apologies, I didn't read your signature. Only your post.

Yes without RAM will always fail to post.
1 long and 4 short on ASUS I believe is a generic hardware failure. It could well be the GPU. If the other GPU still works, I would say the GPU is probably at the end of it's life unfortunately.

Easiest way to tell would be to try it in another system entirely.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi there, having some issues with my system, specs pretty much shown in sig.

A week ago, after returning home from working away for the week, I started my PC so get one long beep, followed by 3 short beeps. GPU not detected.
I reseated the GPU, and all was fine, worked without issue all weekend.
After another week away, I've come home to the same 1 long, 3 short beeps. Have tried reseating, to no avail

Thinking it could be a bad GPU, I switched it out for an old HD5850 I had spare. No beeps this time, but it seems it will only run as a default VGA card. Tried installing latest drivers for this card, catalyst suite updates, but it doesn't install drivers. Claims there is no AMD card detected.
I've also had a popup to say there is no power to my sound card, so now starting to think is could be a PSU issue perhaps?
Not had any of the typical PSU faults, but the R9 295 is by far the biggest power drain in the system.

I did also try switching the CMOS battery, which hasn't helped. (always worth trying the cheap fix first).

Any ideas?
What is your PSU make and model?

lxstuart

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
1200w is certainly a lot, but the R9 295x2 has high requirements.
From memory, it required something like 60 amps per rail, which a lot of PSUs fall short of.

Had a good look around the case, nothing obviously wrong. Wiggled the connectors I could get to, but no improvement.
Currently breadboarding.
With just CPU &HSF, I get no beeps, but I do get a red LED beside the RAM.
I slot in 1 stick of RAM, and I get 1 long beep, followed by 4 short. I also get red LEDs beside the empty GPU slot and the SATA ports.
Next I put the Graphics card in place, and got the same 1 long 4 short, and two red LEDs

So, looks like the GPU is the issue. Further to this, before shutting down to strip and check, windows popped up with a driver update for the HD5850, which then proceeded to work without issue.
I'm going to put it all back together with the 5850, and see if the sound card has fixed itself.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah apologies, I didn't read your signature. Only your post.

Yes without RAM will always fail to post.
1 long and 4 short on ASUS I believe is a generic hardware failure. It could well be the GPU. If the other GPU still works, I would say the GPU is probably at the end of it's life unfortunately.

Easiest way to tell would be to try it in another system entirely.

Solution