[SOLVED] System randomly black screens, apps lag but audio still comes through.

Apr 22, 2021
Hello,

To begin, my system components are the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070. I have an undervolt of 1980 mV applied to the GPU as well as a +1000 MHz memory clock speed increase
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
HDD: 1 TB Seagate HDD
SSD: 500 GB M.2 PCIe SSD (cannot remember brand but I do not think it's relevant)
16 GB 2.4333 GHz RAM (old sticks, cannot remember brand but again I don't think it's relevant).

I currently have two monitors connected to my 3070 via Displayport (2560 x 1440 native resolution, Dell) and HDMI (1920 x 1080 native resolution, Acer). The issue I'm experiencing currently does not seem to have a pattern of behavior to it, except that it began after the power surged in my apartment and my system suddenly shut off. What I am experiencing is a sudden blackout of both my monitors, while the audio from browser applications such as YouTube or Twitch will still play through my headphones. Normally the display restore themselves after a short period of about five seconds, with my main 1440p display coming on a second or two before the 1080p one. However, the most recent occurrence as of writing this post was more severe, with the displays being out for around a minute, and my main 1440p display which was running an occurrence of League of Legends, took around 15 more seconds to restore itself and the game crashed as well. This is the first time this has occurred during gaming, and I do not have any reason to believe the gaming caused the issue (this has happened at least ten times outside of gaming, during low-usage tasks such as surfing the web or watching video streams). The issue is extremely inconsistent, with it happening not at all some days and other days it happening a couple times, like today.

From what I can see, drivers and motherboard firmware are all up to date, so I am inclined to believe there may be a hardware issue somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the issue may be becoming worse, as the latest occurrence was the most severe outage. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
try backing off of that mem OC on your GPU. while it's awesome if you were able to keep those numbers, +1000mhz is not usual and you may be pushing that card too hard. also while i understand why you are trying to undervolt, I am completely against doing that unless you are having stability or temp issues.
Apr 22, 2021
Hello, I have had the issue reoccur again. I waited to make sure that uninstalling the update would fix the issue, but it seems that it has not. That being said, this is the first time it has occurred since I last posted, so it is extremely infrequent.

try backing off of that mem OC on your GPU. while it's awesome if you were able to keep those numbers, +1000mhz is not usual and you may be pushing that card too hard. also while i understand why you are trying to undervolt, I am completely against doing that unless you are having stability or temp issues.

Solution