Question System randomly crashing with black screen ?

Vertimyst

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Hey all,

I'm having a super weird system stability issue. It started a while back (several months ago) but has gotten progressively worse to the point it's happening at least a couple of times a week, if not more.

While using my computer, both my monitors will suddenly go black as if there's no output. Sometimes they'll come back, sometimes not. Sometimes I have to press the reset button to get my system to reboot, and other times that does nothing and I have to manually turn off the PSU. Or, sometimes the whole system actually reboots without warning.

There are no crash logs, no BSODs. My drivers are up to date, my temps are normal (I even dusted out the system and applied new thermal paste). I installed a new PSU because my old one was old - ten years old, thinking that might be the issue, but it's still happening.

The weirdest part about it though, is it happens frequently if I click the 'tweet' button on twitter. I'm not even kidding. It's happened three separate times EXACTLY when clicking tweet and/or hitting the enter key to submit a tweet. Weeks apart, but exactly when I do that action. It happens when watching videos on youtube, but not when watching Prime or videos on my Plex server. It hasn't happened while just gaming, but did crash while I was streaming on Sunday (with an NVENC error from OBS) - it recovered but my game and OBS crashed.

Now some background - I do etherium mining when not using the computer and noticed my miner was failing to start recently. I have two Afterburner profiles I use - one with stock settings, which I use when gaming or doing anything else, and one with custom settings to improve mining performance while keeping the card cool. After lowering the memory clock setting the miner started working again. So, I'm suspecting my GPU is failing BUT I ran it through 3DMark's Timespy and Firestrike tests with no issue, as well as Furmark for almost an hour with no issue. Temps went as high as 70c during these (mainly Furmark), but stay around 65c when mining.

I would suspect that the mining has caused my GPU to deteriorate, except that the screen going black issue started months before I started mining.

The crashes seem to happen primarily if I'm watching a video in Firefox, or editing images in GIMP. I've had it crash when Davinci Resolve is running in the background while I'm also working in GIMP, but rendering the videos doesn't seem to cause the crash, though. Aside from the crash when streaming on Sunday, I have had no issues with gaming. As mentioned I haven't had any crashes when watching video in Plex or Amazon Prime.

Could it be my GPU causing these random crashes, even if it doesn't happen (normally) when gaming? If so, is there a way to test it outside of replacing the card?

These are the Afterburner settings I use (only while mining, otherwise stock):

Power Limit: 72
Temp Limit: 65
Core Clock: -50
Memory Clock +500
Fan Speed: 70

My specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F
PSU: Corsair RM850
GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8)
OS Storage: Samsung EVO 850 250GB