System randomly loses power on Win7, but not Ubuntu

Irritable

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
My system is six years old and spontaneously loses power at random. I know that this is typically a hardware issue that involves a faulty power supply, or an overheated GPU or CPU. However, I've noticed that this issue only happens when I'm running Win7 and never, ever happens when I run Ubuntu. I tried to use my windows key to download windows through Microsoft and my key is apparently only valid through the manufacturer (ibuypower), who wants to charge me $25 for a copy of software I already own. Attempting to upgrade to win10 from 7 fails because either my machine loses power during the download, or installation fails. The latter is very suspicious considering this problem never happens when Ubuntu runs. So since I can't run out and buy new hardware, and can't reinstall windows any time soon, what else can I try? I'm on disability and need to try every possible fix that doesn't cost money.

Solution
Ubuntu runs a lot lighter than Windows, so it probably is not putting as much demand on your hardware. There are applications out there that will allow you to monitor heat and power consumption. It might be worth looking into those.

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Ubuntu runs a lot lighter than Windows, so it probably is not putting as much demand on your hardware. There are applications out there that will allow you to monitor heat and power consumption. It might be worth looking into those.

Solution