Question System randomly shuts down

Aug 26, 2021
I built my computer a few months ago and everything has worked fine. Today I was using the computer to browse and stuff when it suddenly turned off. this problem started occurring more after from time to time and sometimes the pc would shutdown right after i log in to windows 5 minutes later.

the system temperatures were always fine and everything would be under 60C whenever I'm using it .

At first I thought this is caused by the PSU(EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W) but then after a month of the pc being not used, I got a new PSU which is EVGA 750W SUPERNOVA and it worked for a few hours then the problem of the pc shutting off randomly sometimes is back again!!

specs are:

CPU : Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA1151

MOTHERBOARD : ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 7 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

New PSU : EVGA 750W SuperNOVA 80+gold

RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G

Yeah, replacing a not that good PSU for a not that good PSU doesn't solve the problem. Avoid EVGA GA and get a Corsair RMx 2018/2021, XPG Core Reactor, Fractal Design ION+ or Super Flower Leadex III. But I don't think it's a PSU issue but it's motherboard related. Can you test without the RTX 2070 connected to the motherboard and connect the monitor to the motherboard and using the igpu?

I built my computer a few months ago and everything has worked fine. Today I was using the computer to browse and stuff when it suddenly turned off. this problem started occurring more after from time to time and sometimes the pc would shutdown right after i log in to windows 5 minutes later.

the system temperatures were always fine and everything would be under 60C whenever I'm using it .

At first I thought this is caused by the PSU(EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W) but then after a month of the pc being not used, I got a new PSU which is EVGA 750W SUPERNOVA and it worked for a few hours then the problem of the pc shutting off randomly sometimes is back again!!

specs are:

CPU : Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA1151

MOTHERBOARD : ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 7 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

New PSU : EVGA 750W SuperNOVA 80+gold

RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G
Is the new power supply connected to a surge protector? Maybe too many things on the surge protector? Plug it directly to the wall to see if that corrects the issue. Your new PSU is not that great either.

Aug 26, 2021
Yeah, replacing a not that good PSU for a not that good PSU doesn't solve the problem. Avoid EVGA GA and get a Corsair RMx 2018/2021, XPG Core Reactor, Fractal Design ION+ or Super Flower Leadex III. But I don't think it's a PSU issue but it's motherboard related. Can you test without the RTX 2070 connected to the motherboard and connect the monitor to the motherboard and using the igpu?
Is the new power supply connected to a surge protector? Maybe too many things on the surge protector? Plug it directly to the wall to see if that corrects the issue. Your new PSU is not that great either.

thank you for taking time to answer and help me

The new PSU was from an RMA request which I received instead of the 650w old one it even has an EAC(i don't know what it means) written on it next to the 750w GA on the PSU

the power supply is connected to the wall socket on its own i even moved the pc to another wall socket and the same problem still occurs.

i will try the solutions u mentioned and reply back with the outcome.

btw sometimes when i run the pc the fans would spin really fast for 5-10 seconds then pc turns off then turns back on normally!.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021

Hi

so I did what u told me and when I ran the pc it ran normally and is currently running and didnt shutdown(its been running for 2 hours) what does that mean is the GPU or the motherboard is the porblem?

btw I have a GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti(Nvidia factory edition) should I try to plug it in and test it?

Aug 26, 2021
Yes, please.

so currently i plugged in the gtx 1070 and the system is running fine for 2 hours currently and there was no issues when i turned on the pc.

i dont know what does that mean is the 2070gpu is the problem or the mobo?

If its the gpu how come it was working the first 6 months then suddenly started having problems?

Aug 26, 2021
Yes, please.
Yes, please.

So following on my last reply where i said the gtx1070 worked it did work and the computer was runing fine for like 6 hours then the problem is back again with the random shutdowns and now whenever i try to run the pc it goes throught a cycle were it runs for 10 seconds then goes off and repeats the cycle with the screen not showing anything.

does this mean it’s a motherboard issue?

So following on my last reply where i said the gtx1070 worked it did work and the computer was runing fine for like 6 hours then the problem is back again with the random shutdowns and now whenever i try to run the pc it goes throught a cycle were it runs for 10 seconds then goes off and repeats the cycle with the screen not showing anything.

does this mean it’s a motherboard issue?
Reset motherboard BIOS bij flipping out the CMOS battery or short the CLR_CMOS_pins with a jumper or screwdriver.
Are you able to enter the motherboard BIOS?

Aug 26, 2021
Reset motherboard BIOS bij flipping out the CMOS battery or short the CLR_CMOS_pins with a jumper or screwdriver.
Are you able to enter the motherboard BIOS?

yes I'm able to enter the motherboard BIOS. I have already tried to reset the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery and also tried to update the BIOS to its latest version problem still occurs