B450 Tomohawk ii max motherboard
Ryzen 5700g
32gb Corsair Vengence 3600mhz
Palit Gamerock RTX 4090
Z73 Kraken AIO
Corsair RM 1000e psu
7x lian li infinity fans

Hello,

I recently rebuilt my system, retaining only the motherboard and cpu from previous build. I am experiencing random system shut downs. It almost completely shuts down everything. Except the Corsair Vengence rgb ram is still lit up on the motherboard. I have to switch psu off and then turn it back on to reboot.

When I first built the system I had the GPU in an upright position. The shut downs were pretty frequent, sometimes only a few minutes.

It only seems to shut down when I am playing a game. It hasnt happened when streaming tv or browsing the net.

It isnt overheating. The Kraken shows the temps and the gpu rarely exceeds 60 degrees. Same with CPU. They are both normally around 50-60 degrees when gaming. It has shut down when playing the new Dead Space and also Darktide but also Magic Arena, which I cant imagine is particularly demanding.

I have tried slotting the GPU horizontally into the motherboard. This seemed to help. I went about 3 days without the system shutting down. Now its started again and is shutting down once or twice a day. Again, only when gaming.

I have white extender cables on MB and CPU, took them off and directly connected cables from brand new corsair psu, in case it was a bad cable. I bought a white 12pvwr cable off amazon, dont know if maybe thats faulty or if it might be the graphics card?

I read a post online that suggested it may be the RAM speeds on bios. So I tried changing them from 3600 to 3200. I also tried turning a-xmp off. Neither changed anything. Shut downs continued.

btw, I am aware that the cpu will bottleneck the gpu but not to the extent of shutting the system down.

When I first opened the gpu I found that the plastic bag inside that the gpu was wrapped in was ripped in two places. This suggested to me that the gpu may have suffered a knock but dismissed the thought at the time.

Any thoughts? Could really do with some help.

Thanks

Update:
I have tried switching out the graphics card for my old GTX 1060, still had shut downs. Tried updating bios and chip drivers, still had shut downs. Next I am going to try replacing the psu I think.

Last edited:
Do you still have your old PSU? I had a simular problem with a Corsair RM850 a while back with a 9700k, and a GTX 760, If you do just unplug your GPU, motherboard and anything else and set your old PSU up outside of your case and just plug everything in for the time being and see if it does the same thing, Just don't use your corsair PSU wires on your old PSU if your old one is modular.

I really don't think a windows install would ever just shutdown a system out of the blue like that no matter how messed up the install is as the hardware will only shut off if commanded by the the shutdown button in windows or the power button, anything else it will just restart or blue screen or freeze.

Good Luck!

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Do you still have your old PSU? I had a simular problem with a Corsair RM850 a while back with a 9700k, and a GTX 760, If you do just unplug your GPU, motherboard and anything else and set your old PSU up outside of your case and just plug everything in for the time being and see if it does the same thing, Just don't use your corsair PSU wires on your old PSU if your old one is modular.

I really don't think a windows install would ever just shutdown a system out of the blue like that no matter how messed up the install is as the hardware will only shut off if commanded by the the shutdown button in windows or the power button, anything else it will just restart or blue screen or freeze.

Good Luck!
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I will bear that in mind, thanks. My old psu is only a 750 corsair, non modular. So I dont think it would have enough power to really open up the gpu to test fail it.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I will bear that in mind, thanks. My old psu is only a 750 corsair, non modular. So I dont think it would have enough power to really open up the gpu to test fail it.

Thanks

Yeah I wouldn't put a load on the a 4090 on a 750 watt psu, but if the system does shutdown at idle kind of things, you can most certly power it up with it, just avoid games, If you have another GPU to try even, just to see if it would give you any answers, if it still does it with your old gpu, its not an issue with your 4090 at least. If it does, I'm willing to bet its the PSU, having to turn off the PSU or unplug it just to power it back up is usally a common enough problem to point at the PSU.

As mentioned, I had a RM850 do this, it took me almost 2 months to figure it out, it wouldn't shutdown right away, other times it was pretty quick after a boot, I couldn't reproduce it and half the time the PSU would shutdown and it would power back up like normal with out pulling power or flipping the switch in the back, but it was fine under a heavy load, I had a HD6990 I threw in the system and tried to cook that bad boy with furmark for 12 hours, passed every single time, just out of the blue with some games or idle it it shut off. Microcenter took care of me though on that one thankfully, didn't have to wait for weeks for a replacement.

I hate intermittent problems like this. If you find anything out, let us know!

Good Luck!

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I see that now.

What about BIOS and chipset? Are they up-to-date?

This is something I have considered. But, frankly I am unfamiliar with updating either of those and I know that you can potentially brick your pc which makes me very wary. It is possibly one of those.

Im starting to think its the graphics card. It only happens when Im gaming and the new 4090 kicks in.

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Yeah I wouldn't put a load on the a 4090 on a 750 watt psu, but if the system does shutdown at idle kind of things, you can most certly power it up with it, just avoid games, If you have another GPU to try even, just to see if it would give you any answers, if it still does it with your old gpu, its not an issue with your 4090 at least. If it does, I'm willing to bet its the PSU, having to turn off the PSU or unplug it just to power it back up is usally a common enough problem to point at the PSU.

As mentioned, I had a RM850 do this, it took me almost 2 months to figure it out, it wouldn't shutdown right away, other times it was pretty quick after a boot, I couldn't reproduce it and half the time the PSU would shutdown and it would power back up like normal with out pulling power or flipping the switch in the back, but it was fine under a heavy load, I had a HD6990 I threw in the system and tried to cook that bad boy with furmark for 12 hours, passed every single time, just out of the blue with some games or idle it it shut off. Microcenter took care of me though on that one thankfully, didn't have to wait for weeks for a replacement.

Good Luck!

Thanks mate. Ill bear what you have said in mind.

frostie102

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016

Good Luck!

Well, ding, ding, ding! we have a winner. You were totally correct! It was the power pack. Been using a replacement for the last couple of days and no issues at all.

Thanks for your help mate.

Well, ding, ding, ding! we have a winner. You were totally correct! It was the power pack. Been using a replacement for the last couple of days and no issues at all.

Thanks for your help mate.
Thats awesome to know, this is the 2nd time I've seen someone and I personally had this issue with a corsair Unit, not entirely sure why some do this, most PSU's usually you can reproduce the problem and its pretty easy thing to diagnose, Corsair its so intermittent, it makes you think its something else entirely.

Glad its all sorted bud!

Enjoy that 4090, its a powerhouse!