[SOLVED] System Rebooting under load, despite swapped MB and PSU

Nov 21, 2019
Alright everyone, I have had this problem for months now and am coming to you to help me finally figure this out.

My current build is listed below:
CPU: Intel i5-8600K
GPU: XLR8 Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
PSU: 750W Corsair CX
MB: H310M Gaming Arctic
HDD: 1TB Seagate
SDD: 500GB Crucial MX500
Monitor: Acer XF270H 27' 144Hz

Here's a bit of background.

Around May I decided to upgrade my system for my birthday, got a new case, some fans, and the new RTX 2060. Everything was working great and I figured I could finally play some Witcher 3 and put my system to the test. I got plenty of hours into the game with no problems at all on full settings, until I eventually started getting these random reboots. Whether thirty minutes in or three hours in, whole system would shutdown without warning, typically only in game (except for one random occurrence in Chrome), and then immediately reboot as if the power button had been hit.

I did some of my own research and figured it probably was just my PSU, which at the time was a 600w EVGA I had owned for a few years already. Long story short the reboots still happened even with this new PSU. Which led me to more research after the fact, in which I found many people detailing how bad the Corsair CX line of PSUs actually is.

Before going out and purchasing or RMA'ing any other gear I wanted to test everything I possibly could so I ran multiple Memtest86 tests on my ram (no errors), ran multiple stress tests including FurMark and Prime95 (with no reboots on either), completely reinstalled Windows 10 and drivers, and made sure all temps were healthy under heavy load. It seemed at the time the only way to get the system to reboot was playing a game with heavy system requirements as the stress tests did nothing, at least until now.

Today I had a reboot while trying to play a game on one of my monitors, while playing a video on the other. The system shut off and then immediately turned back on again as usual however this time I started getting random black screens on my main monitor every few seconds, nothing at all would change on the second monitor. If I remove the second monitor within display settings the black screening seems to stop occurring completely. Similarly I was now able to recreate the reboot by running FurMark AND running the video on the second monitor, only reboots if both are simultaneously occurring. Would this suggest an issue with my GPU, PSU, or something completely different?

Please help me put this issue to rest.

Edit: A few more things I forgot to mention that I have tried doing, undervolting the GPU, removing/adding ram XMP profile, updating BIOS, turning off auto-reboot for errors in Windows 10, turning off temp. reboots in BIOS.

Mind your language.
This is a family friendly site,
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
For all intents and purposes you shouldn't be on an H310 chipset board while on a K suffix processor part. To add, you shouldn't work with XMP either while on the H310 chipset. Leave it as is(i.e at default clocks). You should've gotten a Z370/Z390 chipset board.

On another note, which version of Windows 10 are you on? Which BIOS version did you update to? What was the model for your 600W EVGA PSU?

Lutfij

Titan
For all intents and purposes you shouldn't be on an H310 chipset board while on a K suffix processor part. To add, you shouldn't work with XMP either while on the H310 chipset. Leave it as is(i.e at default clocks). You should've gotten a Z370/Z390 chipset board.

On another note, which version of Windows 10 are you on? Which BIOS version did you update to? What was the model for your 600W EVGA PSU?

Solution