Question System rebooting under load

Xayton

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
I can browse the internet all day, play games like Apex Legends or Dauntless, and have no problems 90% of the time. Anytime lately when I play Division 2 or any graphically intense game such as Anthem my system will randomly reboot.

I have a GTX 980TI and an Intel Xeon X5660 that I had OCed to 4.0ghz. I thought it may be a thermal or power issue so I lowered my graphics settings and removed my OC and had the same issue. There are times where I can play for hours and have no issues. I've checked temps on both my CPU and GPU and everything is fine.

The only idea I have is maybe a PSU power draw issue of some kind because I only have a 8 pin and a 6 pin powering the card (which it can run off of) not the full two 8 pins. If I remember right I have a 600 watt PSU, I can't for the life of me remember the exact amount.

Ran a Prime95 test with zero issues. Tried to run a GPU stress test (FurMark) and my system shut off the second it started and rebooted. I did this a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it happened everytime. I tested my system with my older GTX 570 and ran FurMark again . This time my system didn't reboot. Problem this doesn't tell me much because the max power draw on both cards is fairly different. I am going to be borrowing a PSU so I can try plugging my GPU directly into that with the correct amount of power connectors hopefully tomorrow to see if that is the issue.

I'm not sure what the culprit is...any thoughts?

Last edited:

Xayton

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
what the cpu/gpu temp during the game?
Intel Xeon x5660 2.8ghz (currently not OCed)
Asus Sabertooth x58
12gb Corsair RAM (I forget the specific model)
MSI GTX 980ti 6G
700w no name PSU I ripped from an old PC maybe 6 or so years ago

Temps for CPU under high load idle in low 60s
GPU Temps I don't remember. I will see if I can get something to test them again since The Division 2 reboots my system the second it loads right now.

Edit: I got the game loaded long enough to see some a temp and it was sitting at 60 degrees with the fan spinning before my system rebooted.

Unless the card fried itself I don't think it's a thermal issue because the stress test to rebooting the system the split second it starts. The card isn't even heating up yet.

Last edited:

Xayton

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Most likely the culprit then, it won't be capable of anything like 700w continuous output. Get a quality PSU, you have a 980ti man, that's still a very capable card.

Protect it with a good quality power supply.
That was kind of the logic I was using when trying to think about the issue. That's the point o failure I'd expect. I did get the card second hand from a good friend but it is pristine. Not a spec of dust or dirt on any of the fans or heat spreaders. The card had never really been taxed a lot so I doubt the card would go bad.

I was hoping to get a spare PSU to test with but i can only get my hands on a 400w . The card needs a 600w. Would I be able to test it if the only thing I plug in is that card? The TDP is only supposed to be 250w If I remember rght . So there should be enough power right? I don't want to damage the card or anything. Otherwise I may have to wait a few weeks to get a good PSU to test with and hope that's the problem otherwise I'd return it.

Xayton

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
I personally wouldn't risk that, a power supply can damage other hardware if it's overloaded.

A good quality 550-650w unit isn't so expensive nowadays and totally worth it for peace of mind.
Makes sense. I'm just going to need to wait a bit then.

I just tied to run an OCCT test on my PSU and it rebooted the second that started as well. It has to be a power draw issue thats the only thing I can think of at this point. The GPU works fine otherwise, no random colors, and works fine under small loads. Anytime it's under full power draw it tanks. If the GPU were bad I'd imagine it would have more issues. I'm just trying to figure out more ways to test the PSU considering I don't have access to the things I need to test properly.

I'll give you some recommendations, they are a range of prices, but all good quality.
Seasonic S12ii 620w
Seasonic Evo Edition 620w
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w
Corsair CXM 650w
Corsair RMx 650w
Corsair TXm Gold 650w
EVGA SuperNova G1+

The Seasonic S12ii will probably be the cheapest, depending on your location. There are probably many good and low priced PSUs that I have missed, but these are the ones that often get recommended.
Of course, if you could get a better quality one, then go for it. If you have found one you like the look of, just ask and someone will tell you whether it's a good choice.