System rebooting under load

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hi all,

As of late my computer shuts itself down whenever it's under load of some kind, from what I can tell. Basic things like surfing the web, using Skype, etc. is fine. But whenever I play Fallout: New Vegas, Crysis or even Morrowind, the game will go maybe 5-10 minutes before the system reboots without warning. This effect is nullified slightly if I run Gamebooster while playing these, and I can play for nearly 35 minutes without it rebooting. My main suspicion is the power supply, as it is one of the oldest parts of the computer along with the RAM and mobo.

My specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, quad core, 3.4ghz
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5C 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB)*
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Twin Frozr
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 550w

Thanks!

*DXDIAG is telling me I only have 3326mb of memory. Probably not relevant, but thought I'd add that.

EDIT: Oh, and OS is Windows Vista Business SP2.

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Just read up a little on Prime95, sounds a little risky to me. Biggest thing that worries me is the high temperatures. Is there any alternative?

However I ran MSI Kombustor for a good ten minutes to the point that the GPU was running at 70 degrees celsius. Note that playing Crysis and GTA4 it will only get up to about 50.

If Prime 95 Torture Test runs for an hour or more without problems, then run MSI Kombustor for at least an hour. If no issues occur, then run both at the same time. If the system fails, then it could be the PSU or a component on the motherboard that overheats. If you can, also monitor voltages.

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'll give it a go but I'm gonna turn it off if it gets over 80 degrees. No matter what reassurance you give me I've still got that gut feeling that it's gonna overheat and wreck something :(

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Still a bit worried about leaving it unattended for a long time but I gave it another go and it never went over 70. I'm definitely going to try running it for a longer period of time, the power is flickering where I live at the moment but when it comes back on properly I'll let it run for a good hour or two, then if it doesn't crash try Kombustor.

EDIT: Have run Prime95 torture test for one hour. It didn't crash, the temperature went from 48 to 63-ish and then stayed between 62-65 consistently through the whole test.

EDIT2: Tried Kombustor as well, still no crash. GPU temp steadily climbed from 50 up to 78, hit about 77 after a half hour. Will now be trying Kombustor alongside Prime95 and if that doesn't crash then I'm stumped.

EDIT3: Ran them both alongside each other and system still didn't restart.

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Unfortunately that's what my thoughts are too. However I read on another forum that my GPU requires 30a on the 12v rail on my PSU. Here's an image I found on the specs for my PSU:

W0100RU.gif

Full page: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1172&ID=1536#Tab1

Does my PSU meet the requirements of my card?

It might also be the PSU, but not because it provides 29A instead of the suggested 30A. What bothers me is that the system fails while gaming, but not when you run Prime 95, Kombustor or both. I'm not familiar with Kombustor, but did you run all possible tests for at least 15-30 minutes or more?

ToastyFresh

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Okay then. Thanks for your help, even though that wasn't the answer I was hoping for :)

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, I did do a test of the PSU with a multimeter. The voltages on all the pins were all fine. Don't know what else can mean a PSU is on its way out, or if that even is the problem, but just thought I'd say that.

It's difficult to decide where to start when everything works properly until you start gaming. I don't know if there's a test that could get the CPU more busy than Prime 95 torture test. However you may be able to find a test that stresses the video card even more than Kombustor. I may be wrong, but the issue should be with the video card or the PSU.