Question System reboots, but only when gaming ?

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Reboot has occurred during: World of Warcraft, Civilization VI, Galactic Civilizations 3, Diablo 3, The Sims 4, Empyreon, Subnautica, RDR2, and Fallout 4
System (updated from exact order for part specifics )
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - Ryzen 7 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 8-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000063WOF
MoBo: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS Flashback, HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and Aura Sync)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series, iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX, 240mm Radiator, Dual ML120 RGB PWM Fans, Powerful iCUE Software, Liquid CPU Cooler LGA 1700 Compatible
SSD 1: Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS500G1X0E
SSD 2: SABRENT 4TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive R/W 7100/6600MB/s (SB-RKT4P-4TB)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case, Black, CC-9011212-WW
No over-clocking of any kind
Each DIMM individually passed overnight run of memtest 86+
No temperature problems. Has all the latest drivers directly from manufacturer's websites. (No Driver Booster) Even tried a GPU rollback, Uninstalled the latest Windows 11 update (22H2 --> 21H2)
Standard use (web browsing, office, streaming) no problem. Did video and audio conversion using the full processing resources of the GPU and CPU for about 5 hours. no problem
Backed up the current system and did a fresh install of Windows 10 with updates and drivers. Tried to play each game listed above. Still rebooted
Updated to Windows 11 with the latest updates and drivers. Tried each game listed above. Still rebooted
Restored previous Windows 11 installation. After 24 hours of standard use, nothing. Did video and audio conversions again, but nothing. After 48 hrs, I ran Civilization VI. Rebooted about 10 min after starting. World of Warcraft (8 min), The Sims 4 (13 min), Fallout 4 (10 min), RDR2 (16 min)
Tried each game with minimal graphics settings. It still rebooted

There is nothing in the event viewer except the general critical log noting an improper reboot. No STOP codes
I have tried many suggestions across multiple sites. No luck
Hopefully, someone here has some clue as to what is going on.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format may reveal some pattern.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what all is running on the system. There could be some background app launching and trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home". Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may find some rogue app, service or process.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Task Scheduler is worth a look as well. Something may be being triggered under game play conditions.

PSU: How old? Original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

My thought is that any gameplay sooner or later creates a peak power demand that the PSU simply cannot keep up with. Cumulative in some manner and after x minutes then reboots.

PSU may be at or nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life). Simply falters or fails when some set of system conditions occur.

= = = =

Also: power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for any signs of damage.

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What's the exact part number and version number of the RAM?

DRAM_label.jpg

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
The whole system is 15 months old. My previous system was built in 2013. Never had a problem.

Task Scheduler is worth a look as well. Something may be being triggered under game play conditions.
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what all is running on the system. There could be some background app launching and trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home". Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may find some rogue app, service or process.
I'll try the clean installs again but with process explorer. Or would that really be worth it? I used task manager and resource manager nearly the whole time I've done all this troubleshooting.

Also: power down, unplug, open the case.

Already done. I also used a different UPS

Clean out dust and debris.
Already done

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.
Already done

Inspect for any signs of damage.
It has remained on the table next to my desk since it was first built. It never made any weird noises

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

What's the exact part number and version number of the RAM?
Yes
Part Number (both): CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
Version (Both): 1.35V ver3.44
Lot codes: 213501641977611 and 213501641977612

Nov 30, 2022
I have the same issue as you, it works fine except when gaming. Download OCCT and do the vram stress test sew if your PC passes that. The obly thing we have in common is the RAM, or atleast i guess you have a faster kit but same vengeance corsair ram. And a AMD cpu. If you restart while doing that, stleast you can consistently cause the issue

Last edited:

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Interesting results from OCCT.
VRAM test had no problems. However, when I ran the "3D Standard" test, the system rebooted the moment it began.
CPU, Linpack, memory, Vram tests had no issues

Reboot has occurred during: World of Warcraft, Civilization VI, Galactic Civilizations 3, Diablo 3, The Sims 4, Empyreon, Subnautica, RDR2, and Fallout 4
System (updated from exact order for part specifics )
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - Ryzen 7 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 8-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000063WOF
MoBo: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AMD AM4 (3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS Flashback, HDMI, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Addressable Gen 2 RGB Header and Aura Sync)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC GAMING Video Card, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series, iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX, 240mm Radiator, Dual ML120 RGB PWM Fans, Powerful iCUE Software, Liquid CPU Cooler LGA 1700 Compatible
SSD 1: Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS500G1X0E
SSD 2: SABRENT 4TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive R/W 7100/6600MB/s (SB-RKT4P-4TB)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case, Black, CC-9011212-WW
No over-clocking of any kind
Each DIMM individually passed overnight run of memtest 86+
No temperature problems. Has all the latest drivers directly from manufacturer's websites. (No Driver Booster) Even tried a GPU rollback, Uninstalled the latest Windows 11 update (22H2 --> 21H2)
Standard use (web browsing, office, streaming) no problem. Did video and audio conversion using the full processing resources of the GPU and CPU for about 5 hours. no problem
Backed up the current system and did a fresh install of Windows 10 with updates and drivers. Tried to play each game listed above. Still rebooted
Updated to Windows 11 with the latest updates and drivers. Tried each game listed above. Still rebooted
Restored previous Windows 11 installation. After 24 hours of standard use, nothing. Did video and audio conversions again, but nothing. After 48 hrs, I ran Civilization VI. Rebooted about 10 min after starting. World of Warcraft (8 min), The Sims 4 (13 min), Fallout 4 (10 min), RDR2 (16 min)
Tried each game with minimal graphics settings. It still rebooted

There is nothing in the event viewer except the general critical log noting an improper reboot. No STOP codes
I have tried many suggestions across multiple sites. No luck
Hopefully, someone here has some clue as to what is going on.
Wag.

Run memtest with both ram sticks installed so dual channel comes into play.

Do make sure the ram is in the proper slots.

NeghVar1

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
My conclusion was a failing GPU. But I do not have a spare video card to verify that. So I took the system to Micro Center. I gave the tech my system and a report of all the troubleshooting I have done and my conclusion. The tech confirmed that it was the GPU by swapping it with a known good card and running the same processes I did which caused immediate reboots. So the RMA process has now begun