[SOLVED] System reboots during stress test

Sep 19, 2019
My custom-built rig ran fine for 7-8 months. A couple of months ago, it started spontaneously rebooting after about 30 minutes or more using Lightroom. After updating Windows, video drivers, and BIOS, it now reboots within 2-3 minutes of launching Lightroom. This appears to be related to high CPU temps. I applied new thermal paste to the CPU/heat sink and added an additional case fan, but the issue still occurs. CPU and case fans all appear to be running at appropriate speeds.
  • Intel Processor Diagnostic tool says the CPU passes all tests.
  • Ran a prime95 stress test and the machine rebooted about 3 minutes into the test. Clearly a fail.
  • AIDA64 shows the CPU running overclocked at 15-18%. This appears to be automatic from AI Tweaker, could this be the issue? Can it be disabled?
  • Other ideas on potential causes?
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2602, 7/24/2019
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product PRIME B360M-A

Solution
a $13 tiny heatsink is probably not going to suffice; I'd expect constant throttling....

If the rig is powering off, BIOS options might be set to that behavior if CPU is hitting 100C, or, the PSU could be failing under the load..... (I'd search the BIOS options over what to do above certain temps/power levels, etc..)
Cooling device not included with Processor. High temps may be caused by your choice of cooling device. Case cooling also plays a part in having proper cooling. What "added an additional case fan" is not very clear as no details about case are described. Micro-ATX cases can suffer from poor cooling. Some people reuse old OEM HP cases.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-6200-Pr...934352?hash=item36126664d0:g:oMwAAOSwax5Yn2Vb

Reactions: keltic42

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermaltake CLP0556-B, a 95w TDP cooler with a cpu than can pull 120w easily when it really gets going.

The cpu can only be overclocked on a Z-series mobo, so AIDA 64 must have confused the cpu's turbo boost with an overclock.
There is no need to disable Turbo Boost.

Your current cooler is insufficient for that cpu. A larger cooler would be welcomed.

Was this built brand new 7-8 months ago, or an upgrade from something else? If the latter is true, was Windows reinstalled?

a $13 tiny heatsink is probably not going to suffice; I'd expect constant throttling....

If the rig is powering off, BIOS options might be set to that behavior if CPU is hitting 100C, or, the PSU could be failing under the load..... (I'd search the BIOS options over what to do above certain temps/power levels, etc..)

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 19, 2019
Calvin7, Phaaze88, and mdd1963, thanks for your feedback. I have replaced the Thermaltake CLP0556-B CPU cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper 212, increasing the TDP from 95w to 150w. The system runs quieter and cooler now. I'm also able to do a 3-hour stress test with no issues.

Unfortunately, opening Lightroom with my latest catalog is still causing the system to reboot, without appearing to overheat. Hopefully, it's less likely to be hardware related now.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2019
The spontaneous reboots have started again. I've run the following tests. I was able to replicate the Lightroom issue with the OCCT Linpack test, which causes a reboot very quickly. Could this still be a heat issue or maybe a PSU issue?

OCCT Stress Test - 20 minutes no errors
OCCT Linpack - REBOOT within 15 seconds
OCCT GPU Test - 1-hour no errors
OCCT GPU Memtest - 1-hour no errors
OCCT Power Test - 20-minutes no errors
MemTest64 - Test finished with no errors detected
Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - Pass
Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility CPU Stress Test - 6-hours passed
Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility Memory Test - 2-hours passed
3DMark - Completed TimeSpy 1.0
Unigine Valley Benchmark - Completed

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not too familiar with Linpack, but I don't think you should continue to use it and OCCTto stress test. It's far too hard on cpus and doesn't come close to a realistic workload at all.
oX3R8bU.jpg

The tests around the green 100 are closer to how Intel tests their own cpus.
I primarily use Asus Realbench. It's one of the best stress tests for voltage stability. For thermal testing, Prime95(small FFT) and AIDA 64(limited free trial, sadly) are tied there.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Sep 19, 2019
Turn off automatic reboot on system failure.
You'll get BSOD with info about the problem.

I have disabled Automatic Reboot. However, there is no BSOD. The system hard reboots regardless of that setting. The only error in the Event Viewer is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first." There are no other Errors or Critical in the event log. This is what is suggesting that it is a CPU or PSU issue.

Sep 19, 2019
I'm not too familiar with Linpack, but I don't think you should continue to use it and OCCTto stress test. It's far too hard on cpus and doesn't come close to a realistic workload at all.

The tests around the green 100 are closer to how Intel tests their own cpus.
I primarily use Asus Realbench. It's one of the best stress tests for voltage stability. For thermal testing, Prime95(small FFT) and AIDA 64(limited free trial, sadly) are tied there.

It may be realistic in that OCCT Linpack is the only test that causes a hard reboot, which is similar to what Lightroom does, which is the issue I'm trying to solve. I've run extended tests with AIDA64 and Prime95 with no problems.

AIDA64 Stress Test for 2 hours - No issues
Prime95 Stress Test for 1 hour - No issues

I will try RealBench.

Sep 19, 2019
I pulled out the GPU and used the MB integrated graphics. I ran Lightroom and the system immediately rebooted. This appears to rule out an issue with the GPU.

I pulled the Corsair CX550 PSU and replaced it with an EVGA - 700W PSU. I ran Lightroom and the system immediately rebooted. This appears to rule out an issue with the PSU.