Question System reboots every 3-5 seconds with 4TB drives installed ?

Sep 16, 2022
Hello,

I'm not sure if this should go under power supplies or not so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. I put it here since the issue seems to be connecting the PSU cables.

I'm building a file server with the following specs:
9th gen I3 processor
Gigabyte B365M DS3H motherboard
8 gb of Corsair ddr4 ram
Onboard graphics card
Brand new Corsair RM750x power supply
120 gb M2 ssd drive

I connected all the cables and the machine boots up to the os as designed and everything is gtg.

I'm in the process of adding additional storage drives to the machine and this is where I'm running into trouble.

The power supply is plug-n-play and it supports 5 sata power cables. It comes with 3 power cables and each cable supports 3 sata ports. So out of the box, in theory, I should be able to support 9 sata drives right?

I've tried hooking up 3 smaller drives (2TB or smaller) on one sata power cable without any issues. The system boots up just fine. However, as soon as I start adding in the larger 4TB HDD's, the computer starts going into an infinite boot loop every 5 seconds or so. I don't think it's a power cable issue because I've tried all three cables with the smaller drives and they all work. It's just when they are hooked up to the larger 4TB drives, that the system keeps rebooting itself.

For giggles, I also removed the sata data cables from the mobo and just connected the sata power cables and the system still goes into this infinite loop even though only the m2 ssd is physically connected to the mobo.

I've tried pulling the cmos chip for a 1/2 hour to reset the bios and it still behaves this way.
I also pulled the 4TB drives and installed them in a different computer and they all load fine as secondary drives. So I don't think the issues are with the drives themselves.

I'm not sure if this is a power supply issue, a motherboard issue, <insert other issue> so I figured I'd reach out and ask you guys if you have any ideas.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why I can't hook up bigger drives to the power supply?

Thanks in advance!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS