Question System reboots midgame

Sep 18, 2022
Hey, I've recently built my new PC and every now and then I'm getting Event 41, Kernel Power with one bug check code being 26 yesterday and one being 209 today. Temps are fine at idle and whilst under full load too, I'm just unsure what's causing these issues. Any help please would be appreciated.

Sep 18, 2022
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4

i7 12700K w/ Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO

MSI RTX 3090 Ti Suprim X

TeamGroup 8Pack 32GB

Corsair HX1000 PSU

Win11

Last edited:
Hey there,

You have a top gaming system there. Nice.

One of the the reasons this is presenting itself in the forums often is that the RTX3xxx series, have serious transient power spikes. The 3090ti for example can have power spikes north of 650w! Insane, right!.

Some PSU's which are gerenally of high quality, like Seaonisc Focus series, some EVGA, some Corsair.

Your PSU is a rahter good one. Is it the new one or older one? HX or HXi? The HXi? The new one should be capable of dealing with it, but typically for the 3090ti, you coul dbe looking at 1200w or so to ensure your PSU can cover the spikes with the rest of the system.

Here's a good vid from Gamer Nexus that explains it pretty well.

Sep 18, 2022
It's a brand new PSU, the HX version. I did wonder about a 1200W but after watching several videos, I ended up feeling satisfied a 1000W PSU would be enough. In some review videos I've seen, MSI sent the reviewer a 1000W just in case so I figured that was enough for my requirements. Is there any way I can determine the exact cause of my issue? Also, I did run some GPU stress tests the day I built it for a few hours and it was running perfectly fine. So far I've had it reset whilst playing games like Green Hell and League of Legends which aren't massively intensive in the slightest lol.

Last edited:

chrisITguy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2015
Hey, I've recently built my new PC and every now and then I'm getting Event 41, Kernel Power with one bug check code being 26 yesterday and one being 209 today. Temps are fine at idle and whilst under full load too, I'm just unsure what's causing these issues. Any help please would be appreciated.

I had the same exact issue with an EVGA 3080 GPU. Upgrading to 1200W PSU resolved issue. This is the way.

Hmm, I just got a 3070 with a 850W PSU.
Maybe I should have got the bigger...
Is it a high quality 850w?

Not that I’d recommend it if buying a new psu but I’ve been running a 3080 on a top quality 650w without issues for 2 years. CPU choice can add >100w to what the system will use so you need to factor that in. A 3070 should be fine on a high quality 750w let alone an 850w.

Sep 18, 2022
I had the same exact issue with an EVGA 3080 GPU. Upgrading to 1200W PSU resolved issue. This is the way.
What were your reasons for upgrading PSU though? Yesterday I was gaming pretty much all day and only once did I get a cut, temps etc we're all fine, I was even monitoring power draw and didn't really notice anything major. I still feel like 1000W is enough but since you're so sure, can I ask why?

Sep 18, 2022
If anyone's interested, I managed to resolve my issue. Turns out I had some bad new ram (found out using memtest) which I'm getting RMA'd, put in some old ram and it's been working fine ever since. For the one guy that needed a 1200W PSU for a 3080, I still feel like that's overkill unless you got a ton of peripherals or something, idk.