[SOLVED] System reboots when playing games

Jun 8, 2020
As the title suggests, I've been having an ongoing issue in which my system's display and audio will cut and then immediately reboot when I play games (Windows). The problem began with more graphically demanding games, and reducing my settings seemed to have solved it. However, it seems to have "progressed" where even games with low graphical demand can cause it. Sometimes, it will take a while to happen, up to more than one hour of gaming, and other times it will happen one or two minutes after launching the game. I have also noted that increasing the resolution or graphics settings generally causes it to reboot faster on average.

An important thing to note is that the PC doesn't actually lose power; the lights stay on and the fans stay spinning throughout the entirety of this process, even as it reboots. This makes me think it's not an issue with power. I've also logged my temperatures and they were fine every time it happened.

Some other things I've tried, which haven't changed anything:
Switched out my PSU, CPU, and RAM individually,
Inspected and reseated GPU and CPU individually,
Ran memcheck (was fine),
Scanned my SSD and hard disks,
Checked for BIOS and graphics drivers update,
Checked Event Viewer (nothing useful but the generic Error 41),
Fresh-installed windows,
Removed unnecessary USB devices.

I am currently running the most recent version of Windows 10 as of April 5, 2021 (19402). My specifications are as follows:
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 1600 6 core 12 thread @3200Mhz
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max (MS-7C02)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM @2133MHz
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80+ Bronze ATX 12V

At this point, my best guess is that it is the GPU slowly withering away. Is there any way to be certain of this before I decide to purchase a new one? I don't have a spare card lying around to switch it out for testing purposes. Also, is it possible that the crashes are happening as a result of some other problem that I haven't mentioned above?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That PSU needs to be used as a paper weight, more than anything. I wouldn't call it a PSU no matter what people say it is.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? It can very well be your PSU, where it lapses for a moment to give you a non responsive system.

Source a reliably built PSU from your neighbor or friend who owns a unit that has 650W for the entire system. Breadboard the system and then test with donor PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

That PSU needs to be used as a paper weight, more than anything. I wouldn't call it a PSU no matter what people say it is.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? It can very well be your PSU, where it lapses for a moment to give you a non responsive system.

Source a reliably built PSU from your neighbor or friend who owns a unit that has 650W for the entire system. Breadboard the system and then test with donor PSU.

Solution