System recommendation for home video editing?

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

I recently gave the internals of my pc to a family member as I figured
it was time to upgrade from my Athlon 1600XP, ECSK75SA(?), 512MB . I
would like to do some basic video editing with the digital camcorder
that I recently picked up and am confused as to what to get. The
landscape has changed so much since I last upgraded. I am not looking
to do any kind of wild rendering and special effects, but at the same
time playing around with some effects could be fun. I would like to
have the option to use this system to play some currently popular
games, but I am not a true gamer so the best, most cutting edge and
fastest frames per second is not that important to me. Any suggestions
on a reliable motherboard, CPU, and graphics card that is the best
bang for the buck? I really would like to keep the price as low as
possible.

Thanks for any feedback!

Marcus

P.S. Is S-ATA a good thing to have on a board?

On 2 Jun 2004 18:01:47 -0700, holysmokes99@hotmail.com (Marcus) wrote:
>time playing around with some effects could be fun. I would like to
>have the option to use this system to play some currently popular
>games, but I am not a true gamer so the best, most cutting edge and
>fastest frames per second is not that important to me. Any suggestions
>on a reliable motherboard, CPU, and graphics card that is the best
>bang for the buck? I really would like to keep the price as low as

Hmm... performance and low price don't always go together

http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx

Click above to see what is best... buy there or build your own

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

I picked up a SOLID system at a very reasonable price ($1,000) from Earl Foote
at PCNirvana last year. I use it as my general home computer as well as a
video editor. I have not had a dropped frame or a rendering problem.

It is a gigabyte motherboard and P4 2.4 chip with 512 MB RAM. It seems that
many of the video problems are a result of the motherboard.

The motherboard I have has a SATA controller, but I just use the regular
Seagate drives.

Good Luck!

John Zwiers

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Thanks for your input, John and John

I won't be buying a complete system as I have most of what I need
already. I just need to focus on the motherboard and the cpu. I am
trying to bring myself up to speed on the different kinds of mobo's
out there these days. Seems that the front side bus is quite a bit
different on the p4 systems than the Athlons. I need to look into the
ramifications of this. Does 800mhz fsb of the P4 motherboards mean
that it can move almost 3 times the data as some of the Athlon boards
with a fsb of 300mhz? And if going for AMD, there are several cpu
core's out there (Barton, Thoughbred, Opteron...). Which one is a
better choice while keeping some kind of prioce contraints in mind.

Thx,
Marcus