• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

System recommendation for home video editing?

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

I recently gave the internals of my pc to a family member as I figured
it was time to upgrade from my Athlon 1600XP, ECSK75SA(?), 512MB . I
would like to do some basic video editing with the digital camcorder
that I recently picked up and am confused as to what to get. The
landscape has changed so much since I last upgraded. I am not looking
to do any kind of wild rendering and special effects, but at the same
time playing around with some effects could be fun. I would like to
have the option to use this system to play some currently popular
games, but I am not a true gamer so the best, most cutting edge and
fastest frames per second is not that important to me. Any suggestions
on a reliable motherboard, CPU, and graphics card that is the best
bang for the buck? I really would like to keep the price as low as
possible.

Thanks for any feedback!

Marcus

P.S. Is S-ATA a good thing to have on a board?

On 2 Jun 2004 18:01:47 -0700, holysmokes99@hotmail.com (Marcus) wrote:
>time playing around with some effects could be fun. I would like to
>have the option to use this system to play some currently popular
>games, but I am not a true gamer so the best, most cutting edge and
>fastest frames per second is not that important to me. Any suggestions
>on a reliable motherboard, CPU, and graphics card that is the best
>bang for the buck? I really would like to keep the price as low as

Hmm... performance and low price don't always go together

http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dv.aspx

Click above to see what is best... buy there or build your own

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

I picked up a SOLID system at a very reasonable price ($1,000) from Earl Foote
at PCNirvana last year. I use it as my general home computer as well as a
video editor. I have not had a dropped frame or a rendering problem.

It is a gigabyte motherboard and P4 2.4 chip with 512 MB RAM. It seems that
many of the video problems are a result of the motherboard.

The motherboard I have has a SATA controller, but I just use the regular
Seagate drives.

Good Luck!

John Zwiers

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Thanks for your input, John and John

I won't be buying a complete system as I have most of what I need
already. I just need to focus on the motherboard and the cpu. I am
trying to bring myself up to speed on the different kinds of mobo's
out there these days. Seems that the front side bus is quite a bit
different on the p4 systems than the Athlons. I need to look into the
ramifications of this. Does 800mhz fsb of the P4 motherboards mean
that it can move almost 3 times the data as some of the Athlon boards
with a fsb of 300mhz? And if going for AMD, there are several cpu
core's out there (Barton, Thoughbred, Opteron...). Which one is a
better choice while keeping some kind of prioce contraints in mind.

Thx,
Marcus