System Recommendations: Your BestConfigs Are Online!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Hey Crash... While this is totally OT, would you tell Chris that when he's done, he should consider editing Wolfgang's latest HP article? It's chock full 'o mistakes.[/citation]

Anything specific Raz? I put in 6 or 7 hours every day editing the editorial content, but news is another department. I'm not sure which Wolfgang story you're referring to, but feel free to reach out to Marcus Yam at myam at bestofmedia dot com for any news-related issues. He's the one responsible for the news team :)

Have a good weekend,
Chris

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
There. FTFY :D

Hey Chris. I hope you don't take the above change negatively. I'm just busting your stones.

I'll send you a PM in regards to this, as what I have to say really doesn't belong here.

Guys some serious problems with my NAS build. You specified the wrong components.

Required one is the Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 at $199 typically.
Posted one is the Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 at $140 on the amazon link.

The difference is the top one has built in RAID support, the bottom one doesn't and is only an external enclosure. These enclosures require a FIS based Port Multiplier, the Via Chipset use's CBS Port Multiplier support, they don't work together. The build as posted by tomshardware is non-functional and anyone attempting to build that will run into some serious difficulties.

Can you guys please fix that, don't want someone following the guide to build a non-functional system.

Edit to the above,

I'm stressing the difference between the two array's as I purchased the wrong one thinking it was cheaper. I quickly discovered that it wasn't working and had to go research a list of storage controllers that support FIS based switching. Then had to purchase an eSATA HBA that uses one of those storage controllers to get everything working. Next build was with the more expensive PRO RAID box and everything went much smoother.

Well close enough I guess. The presented model is now is the delux all-in-one model.
HFR2-SU3S2FW $240
Has USB 3.0, FW-800 and eSATA 2.0

It'll do the job but is a bit overkill seeing as the spec'd system is USB 2.0 and you'll be using the eSATA port reguardless for DMA transfers.

The one I speced out was HFR2-SU2S2 which includes
USB 2.0 and eSATA 3.0, no FW access. Price is usually $199.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816322003

Newegg lists it as out of stock / deactivated but they have the newer model out already. HFR2-SU3S2

Same as above except this is USB 3.0 and eSATA 2.0, no Firewire access. Price is $199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816322004&Tpk=HFR2-SU3S2

Gotta be specific on the model numbers lol.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Weird, that's what the PriceGrabber engine keeps coming up with when I search for the HFR2-SU2S2. Looks like we'll have to go with Deluxe; I updated the model name accordingly. :)

That's weird, newegg has lists for both. Sounds like the engine is leading people to a higher priced unit? Its not bad but it's feature rich in what is supposed to be a budget minded system, that's $50 that can go towards shipping and handling.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Yeah, I'm not sure. Sometimes it finds derivatives when the originally-requested listening is not found. I'll still see if I can track it down, though.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Nice contest. People love putting together and posting their builds. However, It would have been nice to see a main-stream gaming Intel build. There may be a handful of people actually getting good use out of twin-580s (other than for comparing genitals), so the high-end build is imho next to useless. As a gamer I'd have liked to see something around the 1200-1500 mark, which if you look around the multiple discussion boards is a very common price-tag for folks looking to DIY their next rig.

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The problem with these quarterly recommendations is that the process takes weeks to complete.

By the time the results are published so many things could have changed, from prices to new products, that make these dare I say "obsolete builds" at the time of publication.

Depends on your definition of "obsolete". The moment something new and shiny comes out, you can say everything else to the exclusion of the shiny is "obsolete". Thus nothing will ever be finished.

On the other hand you can take the functional route where we set cut offs and things are graded on that timeline. Very few people buy "cutting edge new", they buy what they need and what gets the job done. Nothing is really obsolete in this round-up, there are some parts that are cheaper now, which just goes to lower the price of the target build, or allow for greater upgrade flexibility.

Just for the record: My "AMD Budget Build" was $427 with bundled deals, so saying that I spent $10 more on the HD and $10 more on the PSU is just crap. These builds were built (most of them) in June, so the prices have changed considerably since then. This why I mentioned in both the AMD & Intel "Budget" builds on some suggestions to keep things more regulated in the future. Look towards the end of the comments sections for more details.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Weird, that's what the PriceGrabber engine keeps coming up with when I search for the HFR2-SU2S2. Looks like we'll have to go with Deluxe; I updated the model name accordingly.[/citation]

Google Product Search, Amazon, NewEgg, EBay. Those are the sites I use more often than not. NewEgg trumps most any day of the week.

I actually used to sell some used parts on PriceGrabber. I'm not impressed, but I know your media group gets paid for their advertisements so I won't mention the issues I have with the site. :)

Also, I agree with a previous post, most PSUs are overkill. I'm running an Athlon 7950 on an AM2 mATX board with a low profile HD 5670 4 gigs of ram, a hard drive and a 60GB Vertex 2 for the OS drive on a Delta Electronics 220W POWER SUPPLY. It works like a champ, and it isn't even that loud. Most people may think it's unstable. Not one bit. I've run a CPU stress tests and FurMark together all night long without a hiccup (I have a Scythe Shuriken Rev. B cooler on the CPU). I don't know how long it can keep it up, but it's got like 15 amps on the 12V rail. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.