[SOLVED] System refuses to boot until RAM reseated - fails to shutdown correctly.

Aug 16, 2020
Hi guys, currently having a issue where my computer will refuse to boot without reseating the RAM - usually but not every time prior to this happening after shutting down my machine I will still have my desktop lights on and hardware in use (I can hear and see this) and the power button will refuse to force shutdown. I've left this before and received no such luck in it shutting down on its own and usually requires the power to be turned off at the source.

I thought my RAM might be faulty so I have tried the following so far.

• Swapping RAM slots and booting with select sticks
  • Clearing BIOS by taking out CMOS battery and booting machine - after this then using default settings on the BIOS with the battery reinserted (sometimes the time is appearing wrong too after this as well)
  • Checking the RAM using Microsoft built in RAM diagnositic after reboot (no errors found)
I have had this problem for a while now but it got worse recently - after I installed a new stick of solo RAM. I have 2x 8GB and 1x 8GB all DDR4. I have the two 8GB sticks originally bought next to each other and the new one in the first of the second bay.

My specs are below.

RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz at 8GB x2
RAM: Corsair CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz at 8GB x1
CPU: Intel CORE I5-9600K 3.7 GHZ
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z270-P LGA 1151 Intel ATX Motherboard
STORAGE: 3x SSDs of various sizes and 1x HDD

Last edited:
Solution
My thought is mismatched and/or unsupported RAM in some manner.

Go to Asus's website and look for the Z270 motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Be sure to match motherboard version number.

Use the manual to doublecheck what RAM modules are supported and in what configurations.

However, the motherboard User Guide is likely to refer you "back to" Asus's website for more up-to-date information. One thing to look for is the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

Pay attention to the notes and all fine print.

Ralston18

Titan

Use the manual to doublecheck what RAM modules are supported and in what configurations.

However, the motherboard User Guide is likely to refer you "back to" Asus's website for more up-to-date information. One thing to look for is the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendor's List).

Solution
Aug 16, 2020

Hey there - I had a quick look on the motherboard site and found this. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270-K/PRIME_Z270-K_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf

From what I see it seems my type of RAM is not supported (or at least on this list) and you were correct in your assumption. I will probably look into selling my current RAM and buying a new set that is compatible.

My foolishness - had no idea that RAM had compatibility outside of DDR3/4 etc

Thanks again for the help!