System refuses to boot when cpu runs at factory clock, boots succsessfully when cpu capped at 0.8 Ghz

Jun 19, 2018
As the title says, my system can only boot if i enable the SLOW switch on my MOBO or if i enable Intel adaptive thermal monitor. But when i do my cpu gets capped at 0.8 Ghz. I have cleared CMOS multiple times, checked all connections, flashed bios but my pc still will not boot unless cpu gets capped. I can get into BIOS when cpu is uncapped, i experience great performance improvement and speed when operating the bios in uncapped speed. CPU temperature is bellow 40 degrees uncapped, and around 27 degrees celsius when capped at 0.8 GHz. When i enable intel adaptive thermal monitor, and boot into windows, all prossesses include gaming works, however at a very slow speed and poor performance. obviously since 0.8 GHz is very slow. I have tried to disconnect my hdd and run a bootable usb with linux mint. when trying to boot in compliant mode my screen turns black upon boot with mysterious red squares in two rows on the top off my screen. I get this error when selecting regular linux boot: https://imgur.com/dQ8OraC

When booting with uncapped cpu running at factory clock, in windows, i get the stop code: kernel security check failed, and the it goes into a BSOD loop.

My build:

msi z170a gaming m7 motherboard

intel core i5 6600k

16 gb ddr4 hyperx fury ram

asus gtx 960 4gb

stock intel cpu cooler

5002 stock psu

Thank you for any and all responses i may or may not get, and at least thank you for reading my post:)

BTW as i am able to play games in capped mode, i rule out the possiblity that my gpu is f*cked

Using intel´s driver tool, it found the drivers installed to be OK

I have also reinstalled windows with full wipe after upgrading my build with de above mentioned parts.

chkdsk, scannow etc displayed no hdd errors

Once more thank you for reading about my issue<33
oh and my build is outside a kabinet, built on the mobo box

Check for stability alternating with either RAM stick in first slot....at conservative speeds/timings....

If you are getting corruption even in Linux Mint, ...you have issues!

(I'd inspect MB socket very closely for damage which might easily affect comms to one of two RAM channels))

Jun 19, 2018

Hey:)
This happend recently when i upgraded my motherboard, cpu and ram.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I assume that you have the latest BIOS loaded.

So the basics.

We assume that you have full power to the motherboard, both the 24pin connector and the 8 pin connector.

remove all RAM and just insert one stick. Is it in properly?

Your thermals look ok so I don't think its heatsink.

What happens if you use the onboard graphics?

What are you using for a HDD?

I assume that your power supply is adequate,how many Watts is it, what was your previous system.

If still no joy an memory not working in any socket.

Remove your CPU. Look with magnifying glass for bent pins.
Carefully replace CPU.

You have a hardware issue, but not an obvious one.

Jun 19, 2018

Thank your for your response sir!

I have tried to boot, with a different HDD aswell as reinstalled windows, I inspected the socket pins and could not visually identify any physical damage. Using Intel diagnostic tool it discovered no issues with my cpu. Ram is also tested. With or without gpu installed the issue persists. I suspect it is an issue with the motherboard itself and some of the connections related to slow mode switch or the Intel adaptive thermal monitor. do you know how i can check if the issue is the board itself?