[SOLVED] System refuses to post with new ram?

Aug 1, 2020
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper z170 / Old ram Crucial DDR4 2800 8x2 / New ram Crucial DDR4 3200 16x4

So I just went through a pretty crazy day trying to get my new ram installed.

I used crucials app to do a scan and see compatible ram upgrades and ordered directly from them the one it suggested.

Installing the ram, the system wouldn't post, tried one stick at a time in every slot, made sure it was firmly seated, no dice. I installed my old ram again and it worked fine.

Doing some research about the subject I read a guide saying to reset the cmos so it recreates a hardware profile for the new ram, tried that, no dice. For some detail about that, I uninstalled the old ram, reinstalled the new ram, after shutting down and disconnecting power etc, did the battery pull (I also tried shorting the cmos clear poles before the battery pull but that didn't work either, which would have been nice because the cmos battery was located under my video card).

I then got some advice on reddit to try updating my bios, never did that before, and made a post on the motherboard portion of this forum with some questions I had about it. I was hopeful because one of the bios updates was about additional ram compatibility. The new bios looks very nice and seems to have more real time info about my system, I am glad I did that even though ultimately it didn't end up helping. It also matches the bios in all the youtube videos I have been watching trying to learn and figure all this out instead of the old school minimal look lol.

So with a fresh bios installed while the old ram was installed, I then uninstalled the old ram and reinstalled the new ram and did a cmos battery pull again (Left battery out for about 20 minutes) and then booted up hopeful. No dice.

I am at a loss at this point and I think i'm just going to have to refund which is too bad. I figured I'd throw a post here maybe someone would have some additional insight or ideas. Just can't get it to post, I tried all four different sticks individually and I dont think its possible all four could be bad (Ordered some ram years ago and did get some bad sticks so I know it happens but all 4? Those at least posted and just had constant blue screen and showed errors in memtest), so i'm thinking maybe despite crucials ram compatibility scan it isnt compatible for some reason.

Solution
I used crucials app to do a scan and see compatible ram upgrades and ordered directly from them the one it suggested.

This is where you went wrong.

Z170 chipset MoBos (all MoBos actually) have memory QVL list, which you can look at, to find the compatible RAM for your MoBo.

For example, here is your MoBo memory QVL,
link: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g1.sniper-z170.pdf

From there, i can clearly see that if you want to max out the RAM amount in your MoBo (64GB), you're looking towards only few 4x 16GB sets, with max frequency of 2800 Mhz. Those few are all from G.Skill and are: F4-2800C15Q-64GVR , F4-2800C15Q-64GTZ and F4-2800C15Q2-128GRKD.

Also, i can see that there is no 16GB sticks listed...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Z170 chipset MoBos (all MoBos actually) have memory QVL list, which you can look at, to find the compatible RAM for your MoBo.

link: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g1.sniper-z170.pdf

From there, i can clearly see that if you want to max out the RAM amount in your MoBo (64GB), you're looking towards only few 4x 16GB sets, with max frequency of 2800 Mhz. Those few are all from G.Skill and are: F4-2800C15Q-64GVR , F4-2800C15Q-64GTZ and F4-2800C15Q2-128GRKD.

Also, i can see that there is no 16GB sticks listed in the 3200 Mhz frequency sector, making notion that your MoBo, flat out, doesn't support max RAM amount (64GB) at the speed your current Crucial sticks are.

Moreover, at the bottom of memory QVL:
When running XMP at DDR4 3200 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities.

So, it could be either your CPU issue (if your 64GB set is running 3200 Mhz off the bat) or RAM compatibility issues. I lean towards the latter.

Solution
Aug 1, 2020

Also, i can see that there is no 16GB sticks listed in the 3200 Mhz frequency sector, making notion that your MoBo, flat out, doesn't support max RAM amount (64GB) at the speed your current Crucial sticks are.

So, it could be either your CPU issue (if your 64GB set is running 3200 Mhz off the bat) or RAM compatibility issues. I lean towards the latter.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you demystifying this entire experience. That would explain everything. I'm kind of bs that their app would suggest a type of ram that is typically incompatible though, something I will pass on, on the phone when I call mon.

CPU is a i7-6700k, I tried posting with normal auto mode enabled, which seems to default my other ram to 2133. I also tried with profile one (XMP enabled?) neither worked. I obviously don't know much which is why when I found their hardware scanner app I was like oh cool this makes it easy and takes the guesswork out on my part. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

I learned a lot trying to troubleshoot this myself today and got familiar with the inside of my computer and getting over the fear of taking stuff out and trying things. So despite my disappointment (Mostly at myself for not researching my purchase more thoroughly) it was still a worthwhile day.

Reactions: Aeacus
Aug 1, 2020

I hate to trouble you further Aeacus, I have a couple questions trying to pick out some new ram. I'm looking at the QVL list at its a touch confusing, does the field "# of Ranks x DRAM devices" for example 2Rx8 vs 1Rx8 mean its a single stick and it's just how much memory on it, or does the 2 imply its split between two sticks? Should SS/DS matter in choosing?

If I wanted to upgrade to 32 gigs instead of 64 (Stuck in rma now and limited funds and probably don't need 64 after all the reading and research I've done over the past few days) and get the fastest RAM possible that will simply work with my setup and not give me any troubles could you make any suggestions? If I am interpreting things right on the QVL these look like the fastest option I could run for 32 gigs over all 4 slots?

G.SKILL 8GB 2Rx8 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK DS 15-15-15-35 1.35v v v v 2133

G.SKILL 8GB 2Rx8 F4-3000C15Q-32GVR DS 15-15-15-35 1.35v v v v 2133

G.SKILL 8GB 2Rx8 F4-3000C15Q-32GTZ DS 15-15-15-35 1.35v v v v 2133

So i'm assuming each of those is a 1 physical stick (Dimm?) of 8gb and I could use 4 sticks (Due to memory socket support of 4) for a total of 32 gigs @ 3000. Not sure how to tell which of the specific options is the best or if it doesn't matter. I'm a little paranoid after the last purchase about what will and won't work and just trying to make sure before I purchase again, I appreciate your or anyone else who can helps insight.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
does the field "# of Ranks x DRAM devices" for example 2Rx8 vs 1Rx8 mean its a single stick and it's just how much memory on it, or does the 2 imply its split between two sticks?
The "# of ranks x DRAM devices" is completely different thing and showcases the control signals layout of the RAM stick itself. Either it's single rank (1Rx8) or dual rank (2Rx8),
further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

Should SS/DS matter in choosing?

SS = Single Sided (RAM chips being only on one side of the RAM stick)
DS = Dual Sided (RAM chips being on the both sides of the RAM stick)

Though, these terms may cause confusion, as the physical layout of the chips does not necessarily relate to how they are logically organized or accessed.

I haven't payed attention to either of these two (ranks and sides) since what matters is compatibility to MoBo, RAM frequency, size in GB and CAS Latency. For some, the timings and voltage may matter as well, especially when the plan to manually OC their RAM, to get the best out of it, rather than using the XMP. And finally, heatsink design/color. This may matter if you want to color match your RAM to the rest of your build (e.g you won't put blue heatsink RAMs into black&white build, it ruins the aesthetics).

So i'm assuming each of those is a 1 physical stick (Dimm?) of 8gb and I could use 4 sticks (Due to memory socket support of 4) for a total of 32 gigs @ 3000.
Yes.

Not sure how to tell which of the specific options is the best or if it doesn't matter.

The difference between the three is their appearance (and price).

Here's all three side by side (note the part number to tell which is which),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/cbtWGX,ff98TW,Q3M323/

Reactions: Heart_Collector
Aug 1, 2020
The "# of ranks x DRAM devices" is completely different thing and showcases the control signals layout of the RAM stick itself. Either it's single rank (1Rx8) or dual rank (2Rx8),
further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

SS = Single Sided (RAM chips being only on one side of the RAM stick)
DS = Dual Sided (RAM chips being on the both sides of the RAM stick)

Though, these terms may cause confusion, as the physical layout of the chips does not necessarily relate to how they are logically organized or accessed.

I haven't payed attention to either of these two (ranks and sides) since what matters is compatibility to MoBo, RAM frequency, size in GB and CAS Latency. For some, the timings and voltage may matter as well, especially when the plan to manually OC their RAM, to get the best out of it, rather than using the XMP. And finally, heatsink design/color. This may matter if you want to color match your RAM to the rest of your build (e.g you won't put blue heatsink RAMs into black&white build, it ruins the aesthetics).

Yes.

The difference between the three is their appearance (and price).

Here's all three side by side (note the part number to tell which is which),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/cbtWGX,ff98TW,Q3M323/

Thanks so much Aeacus! Going to order some of this up I hope it works out better than the first time!

Reactions: Aeacus