System Requirements For 'Gears of War 4' Revealed, Windows 10 Anniversary Update Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Update required? Deal killer. I tried to do the update and was told I had video and music files with older DRM that would not be available to me after the update. Of course, the files were not listed nor was there some output file to check which ones or how many would be affected. So I have no idea if I would lose my Two Live Crew catalog or if it was just Bobby Brown.

Of course for those of you that haven't updated to Windows 10 you can still do the accessibility update. I did that on an older laptop I had forgotten about.

Sucks since this looked like a fun title and I have my 1080 all ready to go!

How are they handling press kits with this one? Do the press only get the xbox one copy? Will the PC version be available for early review? Is there a review embargo? If so, when does it end (days or hours before release)?

Lately, it feels like the answers to these questions can be more telling about the enjoyment and quality of titles.

I don't feel like a significant amount of time has passed since the last major (still a whimper on the grander scale) release on the Windows store. It'll be pretty interesting to follow the progress, to try to gauge how serious they are about providing quality content on the PC side of things.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm interested to find out how much they've differentiated this title from past Gears of War games. It could just be more of the same. I'm interested in finding out.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

The problem is that you have files with DRM on your system. That's a problem you're going to have to deal with eventually, so you might as well fix the problem now so you can try Gears in 4K. Staying locked into an OS version because you didn't get around to stripping DRM is not a good long-term solution

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

I have Windows 10 - just not the recent update that kills off whatever it wants to kill off.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
yeah I'll pass, don't care about your Windows 10,
i'm sure others will pass too and you'll release it on Steam but who cares anyway that franchise is already on it's last legs,

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Those ideal requirements, though. I've never seen a game require, like, a $1,500 computer before."

*cough cough* Crysis *cough* ;)

Although, you could make the argument that when Crysis launched back in 07, even a $1500 computer was not anywheres near ideal.

Doom 3 was another one---'ideal' settings required a vidcard with 512MB of VRAM, and nothing short of a Quadro or FireGL had that much memory onboard when it launched.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
This is why I hate Microsoft. They don't encourage people to update by being a better company and goodwill towards customers, they do it by forcing you to update to whatever they're using.
If I thought they were on my side and not trying to pull another "Xbox One doesn't play used games" with Windows 10 I would have been happy to upgrade.

maddogcollins

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Thought they would have learned with Quantum Break. I'm not ready for Windows 10 yet. Won't be forced yet by games not available without w/10. Maybe when I see a difference in the games, till then no sale.

Vividus8

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
This is to bad. I didn't get an X1 because of M$ business practices as policies, I just can't give my money to a company so clearly uninterested in my rights and that has such a sense of entitlement to my privacy and money. Same reason I didn't upgrade to 10, they have some truly despicable intentions/plans for W10 like turning the whole platform into a subscription service instead of owning the OS. I love gears though, love it. Have the original three on 360. I really wanted to keep on the series but if M$ thinks they're going to strong arm me into investing into their Nazi-esque business platform they can eat me (which I'm sure they're OK with). I'll buy your game through steam and run it on Windows 8 or you can keep your game and I'll keep my money. Gears is great, but so are a lot of other companies content, and they'll run on Windows 8 and work with steam.

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Ummm.. it is Microsoft Studios so of course it will be UWP. The fact that it will be Windows 10 only is not really news. Hopefully someday UWP will either go away or stop sucking.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
The Windows 10 requirement is crap, but also, how about the minimum CPU requirement? An Ivy Bridge i5? Ivy Bridge was barely faster than Sandy Bridge, you can't tell me my overclocked i5-2500k won't run this.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
A 980 ti is slower than a 1080 which is about $200 more depending on which one you pick. It should be 980 ti or 1070 GTX. I would also like to know if SLI is supported. I would expect any PC game that can support 4K graphics to support SLI as well.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

6800 ultra came out around doom 3's launch, that had 512mb

Nicholas Steel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
The Anniversary Update adds support for Shader Model 6.0 and WDDM 2.1, all we need now is consumer drivers and applications that support and take advantage of Shader Model 6.0 and WDDM 2.1. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why their pushing the need for the Anniversary Update (Their taking advantage of these new features)

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"6800 ultra came out around doom 3's launch, that had 512mb"

Errr...no...the ultra initially launched with just 256MB VRAM. In 2005, I believe, is when we saw the first 512MB models.

G

80GB for a single game? That's larger than my Battlestar Galactica (2004 reboot entire series) download in 720p!

I'm so pleased I'm not a gamer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS