System Reserved partition

nejc.sem

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Hi!

I'm planning to install Ubuntu 17.10 along with Windows 10 (dual-boot). I've created a bootable USB with Ubuntu, and now I want to shrink my HDD storage to get some free space for Ubuntu.
As I opened Disk Management tool, two options (volumes) shown up: (C: ) and System Reserved. I've looked up some tutorials on how to shrink disk partition, and everywhere it said that I need to shrink the biggest one (in this case C: ), but not to mess with EFI partition - which I don't have here.
I'm worried if I shrink C:, I will mess up with boot files.
So, my question: can I shrink C: anyways and continue with installation or do I need to do anything else?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

sn

Solution
You can shrink C: partition as long as you leave it enough space, windows need at least 10GB free to function properly. Do a complete defrag with space optimization first because there are some reserved spaces that may not let you shrink it by much.
Speaking of Linux on same disk. Make full disk backup because on same disk as windows usually ends up in a mess and unusable either system if you don't know exactly what you are doing. It gets even worse when you try to get rid of one of them.
Best to install it to another disk if possible.
You can shrink C: partition as long as you leave it enough space, windows need at least 10GB free to function properly. Do a complete defrag with space optimization first because there are some reserved spaces that may not let you shrink it by much.
Speaking of Linux on same disk. Make full disk backup because on same disk as windows usually ends up in a mess and unusable either system if you don't know exactly what you are doing. It gets even worse when you try to get rid of one of them.
Best to install it to another disk if possible.

Solution