System & Reserved Taking Up Space

Solution

That display in Settings is particularly useless.
Doesn't really tell you much.

70GB is easily the OS, pagefile, and hibernation file. Maybe some Restore points.

My system shows that same thing as 57.6GB, with no hibernation file and a tiny 1GB page file.

popatim

Titan
Your math is off.
11.49Gb +1.07GB + 2@ 0.5GB (the twoo 500mb partitio0ns) = 13.5GB
The first 500MB partition is UEFI & Windows boot files and such.
The 2nd 500mb partition is your Windows Recovery Environment for when you need to troubleshoot your pc.
The 11.49GB is your factory image for when you need to restore the pc back to the 'out of the box' condition
The 1GB partition is Dell's Tools.

Your 250GB drive is only 250GB in base10 where 1MB=1,000,000 bits. Windows uses base8 so to it a MB is 1,048,5765 bits. once you divide your 250billion bits by the windows megabyte you get 238.xx GB. There is no space lost; just a difference in counting it. Manufacturers have been doing this for a long while now to make their drives appear larger then they really are. Sometimes users believe windows or formatting used up the space.

Jul 19, 2018

But is system still supposed to take up 70 GB of space

USAFRet

Titan

Your OS drive? The C partition?
What else do you have installed besides the Windows OS?

70GB is entirely normal.
My C drive, with only the OS and applications on it, consumes 275GB out of a 500GB drive.

popatim

Titan
the C: drive holds more then just the system. It's also where everything that is installed on the PC is kept since you don't have another drive to install things to. Windows itself isn't that large, maybe 25GB if you don't enable hybernation.

Your PC, being a Dell, has a lot of applications that are pre-installed. You may want to uninstall those that aren't useful to you as well as the trial software.

Jul 19, 2018

My C drive has 152 GB filled. In settings in storage it shows system and reserved taking up 70 GB of space. Look at these images at https://imgur.com/a/p1W3ilG.

Jul 19, 2018

My C drive has 152 GB filled. In settings in storage it shows system and reserved taking up 70 GB of space. Look at these images at https://imgur.com/a/p1W3ilG.

USAFRet

Titan

That display in Settings is particularly useless.
Doesn't really tell you much.

70GB is easily the OS, pagefile, and hibernation file. Maybe some Restore points.

My system shows that same thing as 57.6GB, with no hibernation file and a tiny 1GB page file.

Solution
Nov 13, 2018
I had the same problem. In my case it was Windows.edb file taking 170GB.
The file is located at:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb
You might need to turn off "Windows Search" service before deleting the file.