System resetting during game play

amcoops

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I'm in need of help narrowing down an issue I've been having recently. During game play of a fairly demanding game my computer will suddenly reset, this happens at random from 5 minutes in to 30 minutes in. I've been playing Foxhole on Steam for quite a while now and not had an issue, on deciding to return to Skyrim SE that's when it started, or at least when I noticed there was an issue.

It has happened on Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3
It hasn't happened on Foxhole and Recore

This makes me think it's a GPU issue but I've given it a 10 minute stress test on "EVGA OC Scanner" without an issue (temps reaching 84c max). I've also stress tested my CPU using the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" without issue (temps reaching 61c max) and I've stress tested my RAM without issue. Other than the above the steps I've taken are as follows:

- Updated GPU driver
- Checked I had the latest version of Windows 10
- Gave the inside a good clean and resat my GPU, SSD and RAM
- Monitoring GPU temp during game play and it doesn't exceed 81c

This means it has to be my PSU right? My PSU is more the capable of powering my system and it's only about 2.5 years old, feels bad man.

Here's what I have:

Windows 10 64-bit build 16299
Intel i5-2500 CPU 3.3GHz (with liquid cooling module) - 6 years old
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 - 4 years old
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz - 6 years old
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - 6 years old
Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU - 2.5 years old
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB - erm...not very old <3 years

Thank you for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Well something is going too high to where it can't handle it and needs to restart. Your temp sensors may be broke because if it just restarts, just suddenly shuts off with no BSOD, then something is just stopping, its not RAM because a ram module being unplugged or randomly losing power makes it BSOD, so its most likely something to do with your CPU, because GPUs also make Windows BSOD if it randomly shuts off, or if it just stays black and everything stays on like fans, its probably your GPU just losing all power and shutting off.

So simply, its most likely something over reacting and stopping because temps or not getting enough power. Try a different power supply. 750W is enough, but it just may not be giving it all. Power supplies can go bad or just stop working, for example I had a 750, and it was working fine, but a day later I built a new system and used the same power supply, and it just didnt work but the debug LED gave me weird signs, new power supply and it works fine. So yeah just test everything

amcoops

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
All power is lost in my system, and then everything just starts up again. I've pushed every component with stress tests and they've been fine, but if every component is under stress and my PSU is just not giving them enough power I can see that causing a restart.

Think I'll browse for a new PSU, going to avoid Corsair I think, last two I've had from them haven't lasted if that's the issue.

Saturnity

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Well thats slightly weird. You have a 750, that should be enough, because your cpu uses under 100, everything doesnt add up to 750. All that stuff doesn't add up to 750, right now I have a 500w and im pretty sure im running stuff that needs more power than you.. So.. Im not sure

amcoops

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I have replaced the PSU and haven't had an issue for a few days now so I think I'm clear.

I couldn't help but notice that my old PSU was set up a little strange and I was wondering if these could have caused the issue...

- I was feeding three components (CPU liquid cooler, SSD and blue-ray drive) off of a sata cable plugged into one port on my PSU
- The cable powering my GPU was coming from a port for a peripheral