Question System restarting at random times

Dec 13, 2020
Hi all,

First of all, sorry if this post is in the wrong spot.

I've been having issues with my PC randomly restarting and could really use some help troubleshooting before I take it in to the shop. System logs show error event ID 41 and 6008, but nothing else to hint at the cause of the restarts from what I can see. PC was built 8 months ago, issues started occurring about 1 month ago. I'm skeptical of a hardware issue. A software issue would make more sense to me, but I have no clue what I'm talking about. So, here's what I've tried:

I've updated my BIOS, drivers, and Windows.

I've ran memtest, RAM seems good.

Cleaned out the dust in my PC, which is pretty new and clean anyway.

I monitor my temps while gaming. GPU is fine, CPU has peaked at 86 degrees before, but that was under heavy stress and prior to cleaning the dust. In the last few days, it hasn't peaked above 73 and the restarts are still happening.

I've done the good old Norton Antivirus scan, which came up clean.

I've tried 'sfc /scannow' in cmd prompt, which came up with some errors at one point, but not anymore.

it could certainly be my PSU, how would I check it without replacing it?

The restarts seem to happen at any time, whether the PC is under stress or idle. My computer will turn back on and run perfectly fine until the next restart. Some days it will restart several times, and then there will be a few days in a row with no restarts. When it started a month ago, my computer would freeze and I would have to manually restart it. However, lately it has just been restarting on its own and turning back on like nothing happened. One time it blue screened with the error "unexpected kernel mode trap".

specs if it matters
AMD Ryzen 3700x with stock cooler
RTX 2070 SUPER founders edition
16gb RAM gskill ripjaw V
motherboard Gigabyte x570 aorus elite wifi
PSU Corsair 750W Gold RM Series
Samsung 970 evo 500gb NVMe SSD

UPDATE: The restarts have become blue screens with the errors "page fault in nonpaged area" and "memory management". I've ran memtest86 - no errors found. Thinking it's not hardware related,. Drivers are fully updated. What else can I do?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
Did you run Memtest86? If you did...How many passes?
What's the model of the RAM and what's the speed set in the BIOS?

Event ID 41 it just logs the shutdown but it does not logs what caused it?

Have you updated the AM4 x570 chipset drivers from AMD website?
Which disks are in this configuration?
During Windows install, how many disk were connected to the system?
Thanks for your reply. I actually ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool. I haven't run memtest86 because I don't have a free USB drive. Is it worth doing, even after running the Windows tool?

My RAM is Gskill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 3600mhz DDR4. I have the XMP profile in my BIOS set up to run it at 3600mhz. At one point, however, it changed back to default 2133 and I had to change it to 3600 again. Not sure if that is related to my problem or not.

When I installed Windows, I had a NVMe M.2 SSD (500gb Samsung) connected to the system. I later added another 500gb SATA SSD.

I have not tried installing the drivers from the link you provided yet, but I am about to! Hopefully it helps.

Thanks for your reply. I actually ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool. I haven't run memtest86 because I don't have a free USB drive. Is it worth doing, even after running the Windows tool?
The Windows memory diagnostic won't find most RAM issues, since it only partially test the memory.
When you are having system issues is best to perform a full memory test and Memtest86 can do that.

My RAM is Gskill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 3600mhz DDR4. I have the XMP profile in my BIOS set up to run it at 3600mhz. At one point, however, it changed back to default 2133 and I had to change it to 3600 again. Not sure if that is related to my problem or not.
Make sure the RAM timings and voltage (1.35v) matches the 3600MHz XMP profile in the BIOS.
It could happen that the BIOS get stuck with lower voltages (1.2v)

Dec 13, 2020
The Windows memory diagnostic won't find most RAM issues, since it only partially test the memory.
When you are having system issues is best to perform a full memory test and Memtest86 can do that.

Make sure the RAM timings and voltage (1.35v) matches the 3600MHz XMP profile in the BIOS.
It could happen that the BIOS get stuck with lower voltages (1.2v)

OK, I double checked my BIOS and just ordered a USB flash drive to boost Memtest86 off of. Will update with results once I run the test. As of now, PC is still restarting randomly - it just did it 5 minutes after booting this morning while sitting idle - so I think overheating can officially be ruled out in this case.

Dec 13, 2020

Ran memtest86, no errors found on 4 passes. Also, the past few days I've gotten blue screens with the errors "memory_management" and "page fault in nonpaged area". Any ideas? I'm ready to just reinstall Windows and start fresh at this point - what are the odds that it fixes the problem?

Anything else I can try before doing so?

Dec 30, 2020
Ran memtest86, no errors found on 4 passes. Also, the past few days I've gotten blue screens with the errors "memory_management" and "page fault in nonpaged area". Any ideas? I'm ready to just reinstall Windows and start fresh at this point - what are the odds that it fixes the problem?

Anything else I can try before doing so?
may be rams are faulty