[SOLVED] System restarting issue

May 26, 2021
So about a month or 6 weeks ago, I replaced my Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ (32 gb - 4 x 8 gb sticks) with CORSAIR RGB SL PRO 32GB, in the form of 2 x 16GB sticks, I noticed the system initially wouldn't boot, but it produced a screen which told me I needed to use slots 2 and 4 for optimal performance, as soon as I moved the RAM modules to slots 2 and 4, and increased CPU SA voltage to 1.1V, it started working fine.

Fast forward about 4-5 weeks with no incident, I noticed my computer would sometimes seemingly randomly restart, with no frequency or pattern, often i'd be just sat in my room and the PC would be on, then i'd hear a click (from the corsair power supply - it does this all the time when it turns off), and i'd check the PC and found it had restarted itself, despite not having done any updates or anything.

Last night, left the PC in hibernate mode, didn't use it in the morning, came home about an hour ago, to find the PC had restarted and gave an NTOSKRNL.EXE error, I then launched the windows repair or refresh function, and selected "Startup repair" the moment i pressed this, It then took me to another screen which said "Your device ran into a problem" and then said it would restart, it gave the STOP CODE as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, what failed: win32kfull.sys, as is my understanding fault in non paged area is usually RAM related, however I checked the RAM modules two days ago using Memtest on Windows, and it found no faults.

I've only noticed it recently over the last few days, the PC will randomly just turn itself off, the first time it ever did it it then came up with the message "Memory overclock fail" and I had to go back into the BIOS and hit F10 (it still had the increased CPU SA voltage saved, but the XMP profile had changed from the selected frequency and speed to "Auto", so i changed it back to 3600MHZ and then hit F10 to save changes before rebooting.

It does it intermittently, sometimes it won't restart at all, sometimes it does, but what i've noticed is it's only started doing it over the last few days, and it's never been an issue before despite the RAM being installed about 4-5 weeks ago and running at 3600MHZ on XMP since day 1.

I did look in event viewer yesterday afternoon, and it mentioned something about a warning or error about being in a low power state mode, and there were numerous errors saying "the system rebooted unexpectedly" but it did not give any information about why, or faulting module, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated - whilst it could be RAM, I just think it's unlikely that it's suddenly developed a fault over the last few days.

I also used to get random "Memory overclock failure" messages on my last gaming PC I had back in 2017, despite often running it on XMP at rated speed for days or weeks on end, only for it to randomly come up with memory overclock fail message.

Also, 2 days ago, after having turned the PC off, the night before, when I turned it on, there was no display, I checked the LED debug lights and the white "VGA" light was lit. I then power cycled the system a few times, and it went through and the second time, initially VGA debug LED light, but then disappeared however the system still didn't boot, third time, tried to power cycle again, this time the amber DRAM debug light came on.

Turned off PSU switch, unplugged it, left it unplugged for about 1 minute, plugged it back in, switched it on and it booted, but wouldn't display on the monitors (the main one is on HDMI, the other full displayport), so I disconnected the HDMI monitor, and it displayed on the second screen using displayport.

I then plugged the HDMI in AFTER the second monitor was already on, and this time the main screen then came to life, it has done this once before, but only once, and it was prior to the RAM upgrade.

The GPU seems to work fine when gaming, and was only bought new as part of the pre-built system on the 20th May, so it's only just over 2 months old in terms of actual use.

Specs:

11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K, 8 cores @ 3.6GHZ (no overclock since it uses turbo boost when required)
MSI Z590-A PRO Motherboard
32GB DDR4 3600MHZ CORSAIR RGB SL PRO (2 x 16GB)
NZXT X53 240MM AIO cooler, front system mounted with hoses coming from the bottom of the AIO going up to the CPU block.
Intel PCI-E NVME 1TB (OS + game drive)
2 x Samsung 870 Evo 500GB SSD's - currently not used for storage, but connected and showing in disk management.
Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB.
Corsair RM 750X (750W) modular PSU - replaced the averagely rubbish InWin A65 650Watt PSU it came with, new PSU installed prior to RAM and no issues since PSU install.
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
So about a month or 6 weeks ago, I replaced my Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ (32 gb - 4 x 8 gb sticks) with CORSAIR RGB SL PRO 32GB, in the form of 2 x 16GB sticks, I noticed the system initially wouldn't boot, but it produced a screen which told me I needed to use slots 2 and 4 for optimal performance, as soon as I moved the RAM modules to slots 2 and 4, and increased CPU SA voltage to 1.1V, it started working fine.

Fast forward about 4-5 weeks with no incident, I noticed my computer would sometimes seemingly randomly restart, with no frequency or pattern, often i'd be just sat in my room and the PC would be on, then i'd hear a click (from the corsair power supply - it does this all the time when it turns off), and i'd check the PC and found it had restarted itself, despite not having done any updates or anything.

Last night, left the PC in hibernate mode, didn't use it in the morning, came home about an hour ago, to find the PC had restarted and gave an NTOSKRNL.EXE error, I then launched the windows repair or refresh function, and selected "Startup repair" the moment i pressed this, It then took me to another screen which said "Your device ran into a problem" and then said it would restart, it gave the STOP CODE as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, what failed: win32kfull.sys, as is my understanding fault in non paged area is usually RAM related, however I checked the RAM modules two days ago using Memtest on Windows, and it found no faults.

I've only noticed it recently over the last few days, the PC will randomly just turn itself off, the first time it ever did it it then came up with the message "Memory overclock fail" and I had to go back into the BIOS and hit F10 (it still had the increased CPU SA voltage saved, but the XMP profile had changed from the selected frequency and speed to "Auto", so i changed it back to 3600MHZ and then hit F10 to save changes before rebooting.

It does it intermittently, sometimes it won't restart at all, sometimes it does, but what i've noticed is it's only started doing it over the last few days, and it's never been an issue before despite the RAM being installed about 4-5 weeks ago and running at 3600MHZ on XMP since day 1.

I did look in event viewer yesterday afternoon, and it mentioned something about a warning or error about being in a low power state mode, and there were numerous errors saying "the system rebooted unexpectedly" but it did not give any information about why, or faulting module, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated - whilst it could be RAM, I just think it's unlikely that it's suddenly developed a fault over the last few days.

I also used to get random "Memory overclock failure" messages on my last gaming PC I had back in 2017, despite often running it on XMP at rated speed for days or weeks on end, only for it to randomly come up with memory overclock fail message.

Also, 2 days ago, after having turned the PC off, the night before, when I turned it on, there was no display, I checked the LED debug lights and the white "VGA" light was lit. I then power cycled the system a few times, and it went through and the second time, initially VGA debug LED light, but then disappeared however the system still didn't boot, third time, tried to power cycle again, this time the amber DRAM debug light came on.

Turned off PSU switch, unplugged it, left it unplugged for about 1 minute, plugged it back in, switched it on and it booted, but wouldn't display on the monitors (the main one is on HDMI, the other full displayport), so I disconnected the HDMI monitor, and it displayed on the second screen using displayport.

I then plugged the HDMI in AFTER the second monitor was already on, and this time the main screen then came to life, it has done this once before, but only once, and it was prior to the RAM upgrade.

The GPU seems to work fine when gaming, and was only bought new as part of the pre-built system on the 20th May, so it's only just over 2 months old in terms of actual use.

Specs:

11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K, 8 cores @ 3.6GHZ (no overclock since it uses turbo boost when required)
MSI Z590-A PRO Motherboard
32GB DDR4 3600MHZ CORSAIR RGB SL PRO (2 x 16GB)
NZXT X53 240MM AIO cooler, front system mounted with hoses coming from the bottom of the AIO going up to the CPU block.
Intel PCI-E NVME 1TB (OS + game drive)
2 x Samsung 870 Evo 500GB SSD's - currently not used for storage, but connected and showing in disk management.
Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB.
Corsair RM 750X (750W) modular PSU - replaced the averagely rubbish InWin A65 650Watt PSU it came with, new PSU installed prior to RAM and no issues since PSU install.
Windows 10 Pro
Hello there!!
I believe you should reset your bios to default setting, also initially when the system told you to replace your ram to new slot 2 and 4 is bcz so that you can run them in dual channel and no OC is required for CPU for the system to run. So first thing would be to get the settings to default and use it for sometime and notice if the issue persist, and then try XMP profile. Also is every part new? Or were they repurposed from the previous system?

May 26, 2021
Hello there!!
I believe you should reset your bios to default setting, also initially when the system told you to replace your ram to new slot 2 and 4 is bcz so that you can run them in dual channel and no OC is required for CPU for the system to run. So first thing would be to get the settings to default and use it for sometime and notice if the issue persist, and then try XMP profile. Also is every part new? Or were they repurposed from the previous system?

Hi,

I am fully aware of dual channel, single channel and even quad channel.

Usually, on most boards, in my experience, you use slots 1 and 3. On mine it's 2 and 4 which I thought a bit strange, but that's how it is.

I am aware that no OC is required - but ordinarily you buy a K version CPU to overclock it, which I haven't done - and I explained why, because it already has turbo boost which i've seen games utilise, so I see no need to overclock it and make it run at a higher frequency (and therefore use more power) when I am not gaming.

My system has a default XMP profile button, but it's setup to run at the wrong frequency and I can't change it. I manually go into the overclock section and enter the CPU SA voltage, and select the 3600MHZ DDR4 from the XMP profile dropdown menu to get around this.

When the overclock fail message comes up, it of course reverts back to 2133MHZ in the BIOS and in windows, I understand that.

What I don't understand is why, out of the blue, it will randomly fail to POST, and will eventually start after perhaps 2 or 3 attempts, sometimes it starts on the second or third attempt, sometimes it randomly restarts itself (as if an error message/BSOD), and sometimes it will randomly (but rarely) upon boot display "Memory overclock failure". It doesn't make sense to me that RAM that is working fine, and work faultlessly for 4-5 weeks bought brand new in a system, running on a sufficient voltage, would sporadically and randomly just no longer be able to run and the rated frequency every so often, on most boots the system is fine, but sometimes it won't start and rarely (but never previously) I get the memory overclock fail message.

May 26, 2021
I tried this, and got this, so i'll see if it improves now.

I suspect the issue might well be RAM related though. I just put the system into sleep mode, and then tried to wake it - it wouldn't, I pressed the power button and it whirred up, but no display - checked the LED debug light and the DRAM one is lit amber - powered off, powered on again, took a bit longer this time but booted.

Tried SFC/scannow in CMD since, so I'll see if this makes any difference in relation to the random BSOD errors I get every so often and random restarts.

View: https://imgur.com/a/EoaoAgo

I tried this, and got this, so i'll see if it improves now.

I suspect the issue might well be RAM related though. I just put the system into sleep mode, and then tried to wake it - it wouldn't, I pressed the power button and it whirred up, but no display - checked the LED debug light and the DRAM one is lit amber - powered off, powered on again, took a bit longer this time but booted.

Tried SFC/scannow in CMD since, so I'll see if this makes any difference in relation to the random BSOD errors I get every so often and random restarts.

View: https://imgur.com/a/EoaoAgo
Hopefully that fixes it after what you have said even I'm puzzled.
Ps: did you check your ram in Mobo QVL support list?

Last edited: