[SOLVED] System restarts then boots fine when turning on ?

May 15, 2021
I have had my system since summer 2018 and all has been working fine until around 3 months ago. When I first turn on my PC (including switching on the power supply), the fans spin and the motherboard lights up for around 2 seconds before it all turns off for a second then boots normally. This only happens when the power supply switch has been turned off and does not happen when restarting the PC normally. This is the first PC I have built and I have not changed much since I bought it. Things I have changed are the RAM, added an extra SATA SSD for Linux, and added a PCIE Wifi/Bluetooth card. The specs of my PC are as follows:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Prime X470 Pro
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
  • CPU Cooler: Stock Ryzen CPU cooler
  • RAM: 2x8GB Corsiar Vengeance LPX
  • GPU: Asus Dual GTX 1060 6GB
  • PSU: Corsair RM550x
  • Windows Boot SSD: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME 256GB
  • 2x 500GB HDD for games etc.
  • Linux SSD: Samsung 860 EVO SATA 500GB
  • Wifi Card: Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I
I have tried updating my BIOS to the latest version as well as turning all of my BIOS settings back to default, however this has not solved the issue. My only other thought would be to unplug everything and plug it back in to check it's all seated correctly, however I'd like to check that it's not something obvious before doing so.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I have had my system since summer 2018 and all has been working fine until around 3 months ago. When I first turn on my PC (including switching on the power supply), the fans spin and the motherboard lights up for around 2 seconds before it all turns off for a second then boots normally. This only happens when the power supply switch has been turned off and does not happen when restarting the PC normally. This is the first PC I have built and I have not changed much since I bought it. Things I have changed are the RAM, added an extra SATA SSD for Linux, and added a PCIE Wifi/Bluetooth card. The specs of my PC are as follows:

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

The PC boots fine to Windows, though, right? If so, no worries. Some motherboards do that "false boot" thing before properly booting up. Especially so when power is cut off through powering off the power supply. The motherboard might need some extra juice to power up since there's no residual power beforehand.

Also, why switch off the PSU switch? Bad electricity in your region?

May 15, 2021
Thank you both for the replies. Sounds like it's nothing to worry about!

I tend to turn the power supply off at night as the power LED on my graphics card is annoyingly bright and keeps we awake.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Thank you both for the replies. Sounds like it's nothing to worry about!

I tend to turn the power supply off at night as the power LED on my graphics card is annoyingly bright and keeps we awake.
Check the power section on the BIOS menu. There could be an option for PCI power or the sort. Similar with ErP option that keeps power running through the USB ports in concept, but for PCIE power.