Question System restore error - ran out of disk space

gr3g0ree

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Hello all,

let me dive straight in. Searched for possible solutions here and on some other sites, tried a few solutions but still getting an error.

It started with an Opera browser update going wrong on 16/10
(Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges'.),
tried to fix it and in the process messed up more stuff so thought will do a system restore. Never had an issues with system restores before so lets go. But. System restore did not complete due to different errors.

Initial system restore threw this error:
"System Restore Failed with 0x8007045b Error Code"

Then followed some steps from here:
Fix System Restore Failed and Did Not Complete Successfully Error in Windows 10 - EaseUS
and
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files (microsoft.com)
  • set Volume shadow copy to: Startup Type: Automatic
  • run cmd as admin:
  • run: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - no issues
  • run: sfc /scannow
(first time resulting: 'found corrupt files and successfully repaired them', 2nd time run it with no issues)

• run: reagentc /boottore
  • Restarted
  • Went through: "Troubleshoot" >"Advanced Option" > "System Restore".
1.5h later system restore was completed, laptop restarted and after login to my admin account promptly got an error stating:

"System Restore failed to extract the file ...
from the restore point.
System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files
."

My C: drive is 104GB with 16GB free.

How can I get the laptop to restore?
As now it isn't just Opera acting up, also have a "The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted..." error, Start menu isn't opening when clicking on it ...

What can I do next? Any help is appreciated.

gr3g0ree

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Almost 24GB of free space on a 128GB SSD and still had the same error: System Restore ran out of disk space while restoring your files.

Cannot believe the disk space is the issue here. How much of it is really needed?
What else could I try? Apart from reinstalling Win10? Any ideas?
Have a 10xday old registry backup from ccleaner. Never had to resort to restore a .reg backup before but may try it this time?!?

USAFRet

Titan
Almost 24GB of free space on a 128GB SSD and still had the same error: System Restore ran out of disk space while restoring your files.

Cannot believe the disk space is the issue here. How much of it is really needed?
What else could I try? Apart from reinstalling Win10? Any ideas?
Have a 10xday old registry backup from ccleaner. Never had to resort to restore a .reg backup before but may try it this time?!?
A backup of the Registry will only replace the Registry.
It does nothing for the rest of it.

TRENDING THREADS