[SOLVED] system restore never works

I have been using pc's since 2002 i curently have a custom built games rig , a spare pc just for general surfing and a laptop all running widows 10. I use norton 360 on one pc and kaspersky on the other 2.
I know that in some case system restore will not get you out of trouble depending what the problem is , but my problem is this , on the rare occassion i have tried to use it on any of the 3 machines it does not work.
I chose a time to go back to and let the pc's restart , when they get to the desktop i always get a message to say system restore encountered a problem and no files were altered. ????

Solution
Historically only 2 times has System restore helped me fix a problem, both were drivers installed that broke things. Sys restore meant to run before any driver installs.

But to fix a real problem, I found it lacking. It was often the last step I would try before a clean install, and in ME days, it wasn't that great. MS have more or less scaled it back now and you need to know where to look to find it.
if you run Bitdefender or Kaspersky you should disable before doing System Restore, sometimes doing it from Safe Mode works better as nothing's open which could interfere with the restore.

I have been using pc's since 2002 i curently have a custom built games rig , a spare pc just for general surfing and a laptop all running widows 10. I use norton 360 on one pc and kaspersky on the other 2.
I know that in some case system restore will not get you out of trouble depending what the problem is , but my problem is this , on the rare occassion i have tried to use it on any of the 3 machines it does not work.
I chose a time to go back to and let the pc's restart , when they get to the desktop i always get a message to say system restore encountered a problem and no files were altered. ????

Colif

Win 11 Master
Historically only 2 times has System restore helped me fix a problem, both were drivers installed that broke things. Sys restore meant to run before any driver installs.

But to fix a real problem, I found it lacking. It was often the last step I would try before a clean install, and in ME days, it wasn't that great. MS have more or less scaled it back now and you need to know where to look to find it.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Yes I agree that fixing actual problems system restore is absolutely useless. If it’s just a case where some driver got replaced then yeah it will work but if it’s something that’s broken it will not work

Also Norton is horrible as are all of the other antivirus other than built in windows antivirus

TRENDING THREADS