system restore problems

karl

Hi. When I try to run system restore I get the following message:

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."

I have restarted and tried again but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Boozo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

Check your other post under Help and Support

"karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi. When I try to run system restore I get the following message:
>"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."
>I have restarted and tried again but it still doesn't work.
>>Any suggestions?
>Thanks

You can try: Once in there, click to "turn off system restore". Then after
it is done doing it's deleting thing, reboot the computer. Go back in there
and turn on system restore. Also while you are in there, move the slider
thingy where it reserves MBs on your hard drive for recording restore point -
move it to about 1000 MBs. Usually if you have a large HD it is way too
high). Then reboot again just for the sake of it. Now go back into system
restore the 3rd time and create a restore point to see if it works. Cross
your fingers.

....D.

Hi Karl,

Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
Click apply/ok, then reboot.

Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
"Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
extensions for known file types".

Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
install.

You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
\ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone