System Restore Taking A Long Time

Justin Hunter

Honorable
Oct 16, 2014
How long does it usually take to restore to a previous date? My screen has been stuck at "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored. System restore is restoring the registry..." its been like this for an hour and a half. Should i just power it off?

Justin Hunter

Honorable
Oct 16, 2014

Ok so that text went away. But now my computer fan has gotten louder but no display pops up. My monitor doesnt detect a signal from my computer. What do i do now??

Justin Hunter

Honorable
Oct 16, 2014

So i shut it down and started it up again i started spamming f8 and f11 and a blue screen popped up saying windws could not boot. Then it offered an option to restore the computer to a previous date and i pressed restore. It first showed diagnosing my pc then went to attempting repairs for about 10-15 minutes now. How long should i expect it to take?

Aug 14, 2018
System restore generally takes 35-40 min depending upon your operating system. However if there are any errors or issues it might take longer than usual. If you have a restore point already setup, it should go smoothly. Source: https://silicophilic.com/how-long-does-a-system-restore-take/

555dangermouse

Reputable
May 20, 2014
I was restoring a very decent laptop with a SSD drive.
it got stuck on 'restoring registry' for over 5 hours . i was just about to give up when it finished and rebooted. i thought cool but there is no way the restore has worked. But then i logged in and it did work! . so before doing anything silly. just wait