System Restore

SNip

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003

I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to use the system restore
feature to return to a specific restore point. Everytime I try to use it the
message "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......." shows up
after it restarts. No matter what restore date I try it willl not work.
What would be causing this and can it be fixed so it will work?

Thanks

SNip

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003

"Snip" wrote:

> I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to use the system restore
> feature to return to a specific restore point. Everytime I try to use it the
> message "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......." shows up
> after it restarts. No matter what restore date I try it willl not work.
> What would be causing this and can it be fixed so it will work?

I looked in the "System" option of the Event Viewer logs and seen lots of
errors that referred to the system restore function - sr or srservice and
basically they said that the system could not be restored to a specific
restore point. One message was "System restore filter encountered the
unexpected error )XC0000043 while processing file "SAVRT" on the volume
"Harddisk Volume 1". It has stopped monitoring the volume". After reading
the Microsoft troubleshooting help on this it said that if I make a manual
restore point it should work again - I did this and it still won't restore.
What could be wrong?

> Thanks

Savrt is a Non-Plug and play driver installed by Norton/Symantec.
Do you use any of their products ?

"Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Snip" wrote:
>
>> I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to use the system
>> restore
>> feature to return to a specific restore point. Everytime I try to use it
>> the
>> message "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......." shows up
>> after it restarts. No matter what restore date I try it willl not work.
>> What would be causing this and can it be fixed so it will work?
>
> I looked in the "System" option of the Event Viewer logs and seen lots of
> errors that referred to the system restore function - sr or srservice and
> basically they said that the system could not be restored to a specific
> restore point. One message was "System restore filter encountered the
> unexpected error )XC0000043 while processing file "SAVRT" on the volume
> "Harddisk Volume 1". It has stopped monitoring the volume". After
> reading
> the Microsoft troubleshooting help on this it said that if I make a manual
> restore point it should work again - I did this and it still won't
> restore.
> What could be wrong?
>
>> Thanks

SNip

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Savrt is a Non-Plug and play driver installed by Norton/Symantec.
> Do you use any of their products ? Yes - I use their virus protection
> "Snip" <Snip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Snip" wrote:
> >
> >> I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to use the system
> >> restore
> >> feature to return to a specific restore point. Everytime I try to use it
> >> the
> >> message "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......." shows up
> >> after it restarts. No matter what restore date I try it willl not work.
> >> What would be causing this and can it be fixed so it will work?
> >
> > I looked in the "System" option of the Event Viewer logs and seen lots of
> > errors that referred to the system restore function - sr or srservice and
> > basically they said that the system could not be restored to a specific
> > restore point. One message was "System restore filter encountered the
> > unexpected error )XC0000043 while processing file "SAVRT" on the volume
> > "Harddisk Volume 1". It has stopped monitoring the volume". After
> > reading
> > the Microsoft troubleshooting help on this it said that if I make a manual
> > restore point it should work again - I did this and it still won't
> > restore.
> > What could be wrong?
> >
> >> Thanks

You're not by chance running Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edtion 9 are you? It
has a bug that halted system monitoring (on 2 out of 5 machines I have) every
time XP go to a certain folder in the Symantec program directory. Once it
halted, the restore file was worthless.

My solution was to drop back to the previous edition of SAV Corp. Ed.
Version 8 and rune it's little fix file to plug a vulnerability.

"Snip" wrote:

> I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to use the system restore
> feature to return to a specific restore point. Everytime I try to use it the
> message "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......." shows up
> after it restarts. No matter what restore date I try it willl not work.
> What would be causing this and can it be fixed so it will work?
>
> Thanks

Hi Snip,

I would like to see here it is loading from. Go to following link and
download "Startup program tracker" and run it. Click on View Log, save
it and please email it to bert@NSmvps.org (remove the NS).
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html

What the event log is saying is that the SAVRT driver is interfering
with System Restore which will cause restore point corruption. SAVRT
is a Norton file. Most likely NAV. I would suggest uninstalling NAV
and rebooting the system. Then delete all existing restore point by
disabling and then enabling System Restore.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

Then test SR by creating a restore point and restoring back to it.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

> "Snip" wrote:
>
>> I have XP Professional OS and I have not been able to
>> use the system restore feature to return to a specific
>> restore point. Everytime I try to use it the message
>> "restore incomplete - system cannot be restored ......."
>> shows up after it restarts. No matter what restore date
>> I try it willl not work. What would be causing this and
>> can it be fixed so it will work?
>
> I looked in the "System" option of the Event Viewer logs
> and seen lots of errors that referred to the system
> restore function - sr or srservice and basically they
> said that the system could not be restored to a specific
> restore point. One message was "System restore filter
> encountered the unexpected error )XC0000043 while
> processing file "SAVRT" on the volume "Harddisk Volume
> 1". It has stopped monitoring the volume". After
> reading the Microsoft troubleshooting help on this it
> said that if I make a manual restore point it should work
> again - I did this and it still won't restore. What could
> be wrong?
>
>> Thanks

SNip

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003

I am running Symantec Antivirus Corp Edition 9 - will this corrupt the system
restore function all the time? Is there a way to fix Edition 9 to prevent
this from happening? Does Symantec have a patch to fix the problem?