All of my system restore points suddenly disappeared. I did not turn the
feature off. Is there some way I can these points back ? Does anyone know
what might have caused this ? Thanks.

Hi John,

No, you can't get the points back, once gone, they're gone. Why did it
happen? Here are a few possibilities:

- You temporarily disable System Restore. Regardless of the reason why, if
you turn it off, all points are removed. When you restart it, new ones are
created.

- You installed a Service Pack. This process will remove all but the latest
one (which is created as part of the installation process) to prevent system
corruption caused by restoring to an older point after the Service Pack is
installed.

- You ran disk cleanup. There is a setting in this utility that will remove
all but the most recent restore point.

- You reduced the amount of space allotted to System Restore in the System
applet. Doing so removes older restore points.

- You deleted the contents of the System Volume Information folder. This is
normally a hidden system folder, but if you set folder options correctly you
can see it. Normally, you must be a member of the administrator group in
order to delete the contents of this folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> No, you can't get the points back, once gone, they're gone. Why did it
> happen? Here are a few possibilities:
>
> - You temporarily disable System Restore. Regardless of the reason why, if
> you turn it off, all points are removed. When you restart it, new ones are
> created.
>
> - You installed a Service Pack. This process will remove all but the latest
> one (which is created as part of the installation process) to prevent system
> corruption caused by restoring to an older point after the Service Pack is
> installed.
>
> - You ran disk cleanup. There is a setting in this utility that will remove
> all but the most recent restore point.
>
> - You reduced the amount of space allotted to System Restore in the System
> applet. Doing so removes older restore points.
>
> - You deleted the contents of the System Volume Information folder. This is
> normally a hidden system folder, but if you set folder options correctly you
> can see it. Normally, you must be a member of the administrator group in
> order to delete the contents of this folder.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "john f" <johnf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All of my system restore points suddenly disappeared. I did not turn the
> > feature off. Is there some way I can these points back ? Does anyone know
> > what might have caused this ? Thanks.

Rick:
I ran disc cleanup at about the time the restore points disappeared. That
must be the culprit. Wish there had been some warning about this!! Thanks
for the tip. >

The Disc Cleanup Wizard does not erase restore points by itself. It presents
you with the option to erase all but the most recent restore point, but this
is a choice for you to make.
--
Ted Zieglar

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > No, you can't get the points back, once gone, they're gone. Why did it
> > happen? Here are a few possibilities:
> >
> > - You temporarily disable System Restore. Regardless of the reason why,
if
> > you turn it off, all points are removed. When you restart it, new ones
are
> > created.
> >
> > - You installed a Service Pack. This process will remove all but the
latest
> > one (which is created as part of the installation process) to prevent
system
> > corruption caused by restoring to an older point after the Service Pack
is
> > installed.
> >
> > - You ran disk cleanup. There is a setting in this utility that will
remove
> > all but the most recent restore point.
> >
> > - You reduced the amount of space allotted to System Restore in the
System
> > applet. Doing so removes older restore points.
> >
> > - You deleted the contents of the System Volume Information folder. This
is
> > normally a hidden system folder, but if you set folder options correctly
you
> > can see it. Normally, you must be a member of the administrator group in
> > order to delete the contents of this folder.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "john f" <johnf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > All of my system restore points suddenly disappeared. I did not turn
the
> > > feature off. Is there some way I can these points back ? Does anyone
know
> > > what might have caused this ? Thanks.
> >
> Rick:
> I ran disc cleanup at about the time the restore points disappeared. That
> must be the culprit. Wish there had been some warning about this!!
Thanks
> for the tip. >

Here's some links that might provide some information for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224
System Restore "Restore Points" Are Missing or Deleted

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q313853
System Restore Tool Displays a Blank Calendar in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796
Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

System Restore FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx