System running fine when graphics card is mounted on MB outside the case, but not inside the case, why?

Jul 3, 2018
Hey folks, Hope you're all having a delightful day! :)
I've googled alot on this issue but haven't found anything useful, so I ask for help here.

In case needed:
Graphics card:...GTX960 2 GB........2-3 years old
Motherboard:.....M5A78L-M/USB3...5-6 years old
CPU:..................AMD FX-8150........5-6 years old
PSU:..................CS650M.................2-3 years old

So I've had this issue for a week now, but don't know whats going on really..

I turned my pc back on from sleepmode one day but it just went totally black. When I hard-restarted nothing came up, not even the splash screen, just black.
So I took everything out, motherboard, graphics card, etc.. and mounted everything back together on a wooden table and everything worked fine. Then I mounted everything inside the case, including the graphics card and it worked, though after a few restarts things didn't boot up again, but this time I took out only the graphics card and connected my monitor to my motherboards GPU, and it worked!
I repeated this process a few times and now I'm certain that when my graphics card is mounted on my MB, inside the case, the system wont work, and also that my motherboard boots up fine everytime if the graphics card isn't mounted on it while inside the case.
But! I'm also certain that when my system is mounted together outside the case with the graphics card being mounted on my motherboard, then things would run fine.
Also during those time that my system has problem booting there aren't anything on the screen, there are no beeps and the lights are off on my mouse and keyboard.

My thoughts:
I'm not short if there are shortening issue with my MB, since my system runs normally without my graphics card inserted, when the MB is installed inside the case.
I'm also not sure if my graphics card is bad since my system runs normally outside my case even with my graphics card mounted on the MB.
I have some suspecions that my PCIe slot might be the problem, since my graphics card is pretty heavy and leans downwards even when mounted correctly and screwed to the backpanel, but again I'm not sure.
I'm not sure if this is a grounding related issue since my computer has run normally in the past 2-3 years.

..So what do you think could be casusing this? How can I prevent it? should I change any parts?

Solution
when everything was connected on your desk, was your gpu mounted vertically (most likely) - turn your case 90 degrees to emulate the orientation of gpu. if your system works = you know its something wrong with socket (the weight of the card could also push the card deeper into socket when vertical). reseat gpu card and attempt this again.

perhaps giving your psu a little wiggle and ensure the connectors are well seated would also help.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

My thoughts on the situation: I think it could be a slot issue too, try holding your video card straight in the slot, and not letting it bend down, then try and boot.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
when everything was connected on your desk, was your gpu mounted vertically (most likely) - turn your case 90 degrees to emulate the orientation of gpu. if your system works = you know its something wrong with socket (the weight of the card could also push the card deeper into socket when vertical). reseat gpu card and attempt this again.

perhaps giving your psu a little wiggle and ensure the connectors are well seated would also help.

Solution
Jul 3, 2018
Hey, I did exactly what you suggested, several times, and I think we've solved this mystery! I tried hooking everything up and holding it the way MB sits inside my case (vertical), and wola! it didn't work! but I turned and held my MB flat, rebooted and it worked! So the angle made the difference!
It was funny though, in one moment my hand accidentally bumped into my graphics card, while the MB had been vertical for a long while trying to boot up, and it was as if the graphics card got pushed into place when my hand bumped into it, the MB beeped! and continued to boot like normal!

I wanna thank you guys so much for helping me out with this issue! It means the world to me! :)

Now the question is though, should I get a new motherboard? or To fix the faulty PCIe slot?