Question System running hot. Need advice.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ stock cooler (Wraith Prism)
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill (F4-3200C16-16GVK)
SSD: Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB
GPU: MSI Ventus OC 2070 Super
MB: ASRock B450M/ac

Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid-Tower
Fans: 4 x Cougar Vortex 120mm (CF-V12HB)
- 2 x Front (Intake)
- 1 x Rear (Exhaust)
- 1 x Top (Exhaust)

Typical issue: Playing WoW on #3 graphics setting and my card is still hitting 70C. I'm getting the warm (not quite burning) plastic smell. None of the temps in the system seem damaging, and I have overtemp protection enabled in my bios.

The Cougars run at 1200rpm/60.4CFM. I've used AsRock A-Tune to adjust their profile to hit max RPM at 60C.

The Wraith Prism blows against the side of the case, which I'm sure is not helping circulation. I've considered getting a "front-to-back" cooler a la Hyper 212 EVO-sytle to combat this. Otherwise I'm not so much worried about the CPU temps themselves. Maybe use a 120mm rad for the CPU?

The MB only has two fan headers aside from the CPU pins. So front and back fans are connected with splitter cables, respectively.

That's about all I can think of...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

any gtx xx70/80 are designed to run at ~80C, yours running pretty fine if its just 70C
better airflow may not really help, water cooling 240mm+ radiator (or 240mm+ AIO)
mine 1070ti runs on ac freezer 240 and doesnt go over 60degrees (fans at 30%)

anyway if u really want to test how good your airflow is
here is simple test, remove side panel, see how your temperatures will go, if there wont be any noticeable difference, then your airflow is fine

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I'll try the switch, but it's more of an airflow issue I think. I'll pop the cover off and report.

EDIT: The 3700X is hovering in the 60C's. The only reason I bring up a water cooler is that it'd essentially allow the heat to bypass the inside of the case, giving the GPU some "fresh" air. I'll report back.

I thought the same thing about the Wraith cooler with my 3800x. With the stock cooler it would hit 72C-75C during gaming at 1440p with a 2070 Super (BFV, new CoD, Red Redemtion2). Now my case is inside of a computer desk so it's not the best place to put a pc case to start with.

I installed a Corsiar H60 AIO as a front intake and it only dropped my temps a couple of degrees.

You could get another cooler that will knock a few degrees off and the fan wont be as loud. But the temps you have are in the normal range.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I took the side panel off. The 2070 Super is running 5C lower. It's really the "hot plastic" smell that worries me, but nothing is in a position where it could melt or whatever.

The case isn't the best design. I probably should have put a little more thought into it. I really don't have a spot to put a 240mm rad. The front intakes have perforated slots on the sides of the front panel, not the front. Meh.

Lol. I had the same issues. My wife bought a pc desk as a surprise but no where to really put the pc other than the cubby. The temps were warm due to the placement of the case. Tight fit.

A Corsair Carbide 100r just fits in the desk. The front of that case has perforated slots on the side as well. First thing I did was to put twp 120mm holes in the plastic and got a screen assembly off ebay. Unfortunately the placement of the screen bracket doesn't line up with the fans but this dramatically improved the case airflow.

EiRgVP4.jpg

It's a small case and I have an x570 motherboard so I pulled the HDD cage out to allow the installation of the AIO H60.

As far as the gpu, it never got above 61C during gaming. After these changes and using the front as an intake for the cpu AIO, the gpu now never goes above 62C during gaming.

If you can improve the airflow that will provide the best benefit. But you do not need water cooling as your temperatures are not too high for the Ryzen.

En4ii9p.jpg

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
THIS is what I'm using for a case. I may have to mod it like yours. I mean, the fans are supposed to move ~60CFM. The front intakes, I just noticed are only on the right side, as the left doesn't have the perforated slot. Man, I wish I had paid more attention to this. But I was more concerned with the footprint as the width of the case had to be very specific to not exceed the width of the workstation tray it's sitting in.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Airflow on the 510 isn't all that bad. Fans work by creating a vacuum in front of them, the byproduct being air that's exhausted out the rear of the fan. There's enough space in front of the fans to create a sizable vacuum, which is omni-directional, it comes from everywhere, not just in front.

Plenty of room in that case for a 240mm AIO, it goes in front by the psu shroud, replacing the stock fans.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Airflow on the 510 isn't all that bad. Fans work by creating a vacuum in front of them, the byproduct being air that's exhausted out the rear of the fan. There's enough space in front of the fans to create a sizable vacuum, which is omni-directional, it comes from everywhere, not just in front.

Plenty of room in that case for a 240mm AIO, it goes in front by the psu shroud, replacing the stock fans.

Forgive the ignorance...

Aside from alleviating CPU temps, does mounting a rad in the front intakes have any other benefits? In terms of the case's overall heat-level, it wouldn't seem like we're really changing much because the CPU heat is just being blown into the case. I'm all for doing it, just have been curious over the years seeing people do it.

Thanks!

Yes, I looked at this too and it is a really minimal difference in placement and performance. In my case the front mount works so as to intake cool air. If the case is not in a restricted environment then it doesn't matter where you place the AiO.

A passive heat sink sits in your pc case so the hot air is expelled through the top and rear fans.

TRENDING THREADS