system running slow as hell

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I have had a problem with my system running slow for a while, the biggest issue is slow startup time after login, although it boots fast.
I have tried disabling everything, all services and startup items, which made minimal difference, even in safe mode it is still not quick.
So I ran a benchmark test today using a couple of different tolls, and it looks to me like the disk is the problem, 0.22Mb/s is pretty poor right ?

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1003432

Your laptop has a 5400 rpm hard drive.
They are very slow and are oriented to power savings and not performance.

If you were to replace it with a ssd you would see a major improvement in performance.
I have replaced the hard drive in all my laptops and others with very good results.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

it isn't a laptop, it is an AIO, and it was not always this slow, it used to be very fast, it is a hybrid SSHD

That explains why the test said ssd.
It also explains why the processor is a mobile and not desktop processor.

There is a possibility that you may have started to run out of nand block updates.
Each nand block will have a limited number of lifetime updates.
On a normal ssd, that is no issue since the entire capacity is available for updates.
On your drive, there is only 8gb of nand blocks.

If there is smart data available, you can probably find out how close to the limit you are.
Unfortunately a hybrid will not have enough nand to keep what you mostly use in storage.
It is the back end 5400 rpm drive that determines most of the performance.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

It is a 1TB disk, and it is only half full. Windows will not defrag the disk as it sees hybrid drives as an SSD. I have however used a 3rd party tool to defrag the HDD to no avail.

geofelt, is there any solution to that, other than to reformat/replace the disk ?

I think not.
A SSHD is a reasonable solution where you need a lot of capacity.
The absolute best solution would be to replace it with a true ssd.
Samsung evo comes in 500gb and 1tb sizes.
Prices have been dropping, so it might be affordable.
Samsung has a nice ssd migration tool to copy your drive to a new ssd.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
btw the disk is 7200rpm with a 32gb ssd cache, not 5400 with 8GB as you had said.
Just to be clear once again, it has not always been slow, the system used to be lightning fast, and as I said even with everything disabled it is still slow to start up and even longer to get a webpage open.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if pc is slow at start up after logon, Microsoft suggests you do a clean boot to see if its a windows problem or a app loading at start up causing it.

You can also try unplugging all peripherals,and start pc to see if its perhaps one of them causing it too.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

I have already done a clean boot and safe mode as mentioned earlier, and the only peripherals I have plugged in are mouse and keyboard, not really anything to remove.
I thought the disk speed shown in the benchmark was slow, is this not the case ?

Google showed this for a
St1000lm HN-M101MBB 1TB drive.
https://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/docs/samsung-ds/100698122c.pdf

See if you can find an app than can format a report on the s.m.a.r.t statistics.
It will tell you more about the status of the drive.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

so according to that I should be getting 145MB/s and according to my benchmark I am getting only 59MB/s, so it looks like my assumption was right and the disk is going slow.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Well Dell refused to replace the HD because their dell diagnostic tool did not show any problem, because it does not do any benchmark tests, and would not accept my benchmark tests because they are done using a 3rd party tool. We went round and round in circles on this one with me trying to explain to them that their tool of course will not show the problem because it is not doing benchmark tests thus will not show the speed issue. I may as well been speaking to my cat.
So I had to simply replace the HD myself, duplicated the OS across to the new disk, and everything is now running brilliantly. I informed Dell that replacing the HD had solved the issue, performed new benchmark tests to show then that the new drive was giving expected results, I even provided benchmarks of my external USB drives to show that even they were giving expected results.
Guess what their answer was, re-install Windows... yep even though I had solved the issue and there was no longer any problem, they still wanted me to re-install windows.
They have blatantly refused to replace the original disk, even though the system is still under warranty and the benchmark results shows it is under performing and replacing it solved the issue, still using the excuse that their Dell diagnostic tools does not show any error.