System running slowly and freezing after around 30 minutes. PC good enough to not suffer

deltajetty

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
SPECS:
Ryzen 1300X 3.6GHz Quad Core
MSI GTX 1060 6gb
8gb DDR4 2400MHz
Older 500w EVGA PSU
1TB HDD and 140gb SSD

My issue is that after 20 - 30 min of gaming (PUBG, DOOM 2016, other more strenuous games), my PC will freeze for 3 - 10 seconds every 15 seconds or so, to a point where games like DOOM or PUBG become unplayable. I have no idea what could be causing this as my GPU & CPU both level off at around 55 - 60C and are well enough power to easily run the programs.

deltajetty

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I usually hit 80% usage, and upgrading could be tricky because of the increase in cost. I am looking into changes that would limit the base use of RAM on my system (ex switching to firefox over chrome). Thanks for the help!

Jan 28, 2018
Ya, not a problem. Just keep in mind that more games now days are getting Thread intensive meaning the more the CPU gets used the more Ram it will take to help render things in. Playing AAA Games now with decent settings using a budget GPU uses a lot more System Ram. We use to be able to get away with the 8GBs but the standard is quickly rising to have at least 16 GB. You also want to have that in Dual Channel format instead of a single stick of ram. I am sure you do it just wasn't listed that way. With the thread comment I made earlier the Ryzen 3 you have is okay however the best price to performance with Ryzen right now is the Ryzen 5 1600 as its under $200 and has 6 cores and 12 threads. Helps out a lot when I game to be honest. And with rendering YouTube videos.