[SOLVED] System saying my gpu isnt powered

SkippTheFlipp

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015
So I have a current build that I'm trying to upgrade with a better psu and others within the next month for the rtx 3090. Specs below.

Intel i5 8400
Gtx 1660ti
Msi Z370 pc pro mb
16gbs gskill
Corsair 550w psu

I happened to be given an older pc build that has a xfx pro 850 black edition psu in it that works and want to swap into my build. I got everything connected where it should be but when powering on I keep getting (power down system and connect pcie power to gpu) or something along those lines. (At work and already swapped everything back so I could continue to use pc). I used all the connectors that where in older case to my newer build as the corsairs wouldnt fit slots in xfx. What do I need to do I'm lost at this point

Solution
Only time you will see that message is if the GPU does not see the power connections, so either cable is bad, PCIe power out on the PSU is bad, cables are not seated or in the wrong slots on the PSU or the video card power connector is bad. The message is straight-forward there is no configuration or settings that can be changed, it's a physical power link.
Are both those PSUs modular?
Keep in mind - you can use only cables from the specific psu.
Use wrong cables and you can kill your pc by doing so.

Also modular cables have to be connected proper way. Direction is important. If you manage to connect it the wrong way (might be physically possible), then you can also damage/kill your pc.

SkippTheFlipp

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015
Are both those PSUs modular?
Keep in mind - you can use only cables from the specific psu.
Use wrong cables and you can kill your pc by doing so.

Also modular cables have to be connected proper way. Direction is important. If you manage to connect it the wrong way (might be physically possible), then you can also damage/kill your pc.

The corsair is semi modular. The xfx is is fully modular. I'm only using the original wires for psu not swapping. And all are connected in correct orientation. Also note that xfx is fully working with what I beleive was a radeon 8560 or something

Only time you will see that message is if the GPU does not see the power connections, so either cable is bad, PCIe power out on the PSU is bad, cables are not seated or in the wrong slots on the PSU or the video card power connector is bad. The message is straight-forward there is no configuration or settings that can be changed, it's a physical power link.

Solution

SkippTheFlipp

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015

Ok if I was to go about getting a new cable does it need to be from manufacturers or can I stop at a local pc parts store n be fine as long as they are the same configuration