Question System showing 6gb ram but apps crashing when ram usage hits 4gb

Jan 8, 2020
I have a 4 gb and a 2 gb ram stick, both are ddr3 1333 Mhz. Both of them were working perfect. Recently I have discovered that when I reach 4 gb ram usage, my browser tabs start crashing or my games crash saying out of memory or memory allocation failed (my pagefile is disabled) But system properties and all other softwares show 6144 mb installed memory, 6141 mb usable and 3 mb hw reserved. I have tried changing ram positions, cleaning with rubber, factory reset windows 10, even the memory diag. tool says no error found. Both of my rams are good and both slots of the mobo are also working okay.
I need help guys. What should i do now? my windows 10 running with the latest update however.
fx 6100
Gigabyte ga 78 lmt s2p mobo AM3+ socket
Transcend 4gb ddr3 1333Mhz + Twinmos 2gb ddr3 1333Mhz ram
Gigabyte Gtx 1050 ti 4gb ddr5
Toshiba 1TB hdd 7.2k rpm
Samsung 768p monitor
Non-branded 450 watt psu

Edit:
well guys, i found the problem. My friend has a computer shop and i took my pc there. He tested my mobo and ram sticks. He said they were okay. Then he installed another hdd with windows 7 home premium version and he disabled the pagefile. He launched a game and the memory usage jumped to like 5900 mb+ then we switched back to windows 10 (i mean my hdd where windows 10 is installed with the latest update and pagefile disabled) we launched a game and it crashed saying memory allocation failed. He opened up the resource monitor screen and it was showing like 1.9 gb standby memory and 10 or 20 mb free memory. We reinstalled windows 10, updated that to the latest version, disabled the pagefile and tried to run a game. Same thing happened again, the game crashed. Then he explained that a bug in the latest update might be causing this problem that is not letting system to release the standby memory when there is no free memory available. He told me to use windows 7 until any new update or bug fixes of windows 10 arrives. Well at least my pc is working fine again. Thank you guys for your comments.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
And, in addition to memory testing, update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Motherboard and RAM module information/details may prove helpful.

What size drive and how full?

Also curious about the reason for disabling pagefile - pagefile may not be necessary if there is lots of memory available. 16GB or more....

Reference:

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delete-pagefile-sys-in-windows-10/

You have only 6 GB so what brought about disabling pagefile?

Reactions: ashik007rah
Jan 8, 2020
And, in addition to memory testing, update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Motherboard and RAM module information/details may prove helpful.

What size drive and how full?

Also curious about the reason for disabling pagefile - pagefile may not be necessary if there is lots of memory available. 16GB or more....

Reference:

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delete-pagefile-sys-in-windows-10/

You have only 6 GB so what brought about disabling pagefile?
fx 6100
Gigabyte ga 78 lmt s2p mobo AM3+ socket
Transcend 4gb ddr3 1333Mhz + Twinmos 2gb ddr3 1333Mhz ram
Gigabyte Gtx 1050 ti 4gb ddr5
Toshiba 1TB hdd 7.2k rpm
Samsung 768p monitor
Non-branded 450 watt psu

that's my pc spec. im a student and running low on budget, so upgrading hardwares right now is not possible for me. I think something is wrong with windows mayb, I tested both my mobo ram slots and ram sticks. They are working.
I run ue4 and other softwares at the same time and im using hard drive. I found this in a forum, when the pagefile is enabled, if a software is not being used for some times and ram usage is high, pagefile stores the data of that software from ram to the hdd, so when I switch back to that window it takes some time to appear or feels like lagging. disabling pagefile solved this issue. so I keep that disabled.

Jan 8, 2020
But bro, did you try to use only one stick of ram bro then load it like you said you did bro then see does it crash bro and if not then do the same with the other memory stick bro. Then if they both pass i would say got got a faulty mobo bro. Bro try to reset bios to factory and try again bro.
Yeah, I tested them like this, 4gb ram on slot 1 then boot up windows, then 4gb on slot 2, boot up windows. then I tested 2gb like that. Everytime system booted successfully. I think reinstalling windows might help and I have another asus mobo. im trying those. I will let you know after testing those rams on another mobo. Thanks for your reply bro.

Ralston18

Titan
Two key issues I think:

1) You are using mixed RAM modules which can and does work. However, if a matched set of RAM modules in dual channel is used performance is likely to improve. Check the motherboard specifications and configuration options accordingly.

2) The purpose of the pagefile is to serve as additional "RAM" via space reserved on the HDD. If you have an older, slower, or filled up HDD then writing files/data back and forth between RAM and the pagefile is going to be slow. That space needs to be correctly sized and a good starting value is to just accept Microsoft's recommendation.

If budget is tight then about all you can do is to reduce the number of applications being launched at start up via Task Manager.

Reducing the number of running apps will reduce the need for paging between RAM and the HDD. Open and close apps as needed instead of allowing them to continually run in the background.

Also if it is an HDD you may benefit from some house cleaning to delete unneeded files and apps followed by defragging the HDD. Files will hopefully then be written contiguously versus being scattered around in pieces wherever HDD space can be found. Contiguous files will smooth out performance with less reading and writing to store and retrieve file fragments.

As always, be sure to back up all data beforehand and ensure that the data is recoverable and readable.

Jan 8, 2020
well guys, i found the problem. My friend has a computer shop and i took my pc there. He tested my mobo and ram sticks. He said they were okay. Then he installed another hdd with windows 7 home premium version and he disabled the pagefile. He launched a game and the memory usage jumped to like 5900 mb+ then we switched back to windows 10 (i mean my hdd where windows 10 is installed with the latest update and pagefile disabled) we launched a game and it crashed saying memory allocation failed. He opened up the resource monitor screen and it was showing like 1.9 gb standby memory and 10 or 20 mb free memory. We reinstalled windows 10, updated that to the latest version, disabled the pagefile and tried to run a game. Same thing happened again, the game crashed. Then he explained that a bug in the latest update might be causing this problem that is not letting system to release the standby memory when there is no free memory available. He told me to use windows 7 until any new update or bug fixes of windows 10 arrives. Well at least my pc is working fine again. Thank you guys for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS