Question System shows 100% disk usage, but task manager shows no processes using it

Feb 26, 2019
The system is a Windows 10 laptop from Acer. I've been having this problem for a while, and have searched online and tried a lot of different random things over the months to fix this.

When the computer starts up, it is extremely slow. A task manager check shows that the disk usage for the system is at 100% - but there are no shown tasks which are using anything more than 1 or 2mb. The system will stay in this 100% usage state for 5-30 minutes after booting up. If I put it to sleep and wake it up, the disk usage spikes to 100% again, though for a much shorter time.

I've tried every solution I've come across online. Disabling Superfetch, Live Search, uninstalling antivirus software, updating Windows... solutions that so many people reported worked for them are not having an effect on this machine.

The laptop is past warranty so I can't return or replace it, and I don't want to send it away to Acer for who knows how long because I use it for work. I'd just like to get it working myself if at all possible.

Feb 26, 2019
What is the model of the laptop? Have you tried running a program like hdd sentinel to tell if your hard drive is ok? Hard drives sometimes do this just because most companies install really cheap 5400rpm hdds in laptops.

The laptop is an Acer Nitro 5. i5-8300H, 8GB RAM.

I have verified that the HDD is in good condition, yes. It doesn't appear to be that based on what I've checked.

Feb 26, 2019
Check resource monitor first for any background processes using the HDD.
You also sure you haven't got an virus scans or backups trying to run when you boot up?
Resource Monitor shows a process called TiWorker.exe taking up a lot of disk usage on startup. On looking into it, it seems to be tied to Windows Update. My copy of Windows is up to date though, so I'm not sure why it's taking up so much disk usage, or running at all. To answer your other question, I have no virus scans or backups running.

No, my Acer Nitro 5 runs well with normal disk usage. I would check Windows task manager and click on "disk" to sort the processes utilizing your SSD the most to the top. Take a screenshot of disk utilization and show us here using imgur as a free host and post the link! It is definitely not normal to get 100% idle disk usage with the Intel NVME solid state drive that the nitro 5 has.
Even with a much slower HP S700 SATA3 SSD in my main pc has 0% disk usage when idle and even 0% when opening a few chrome tabs. I usually have to write usage in task manager of under 0-1mb/s with task manager, youtube, toms hardware, and other sites open in chrome.

Last edited:
That looks like a drive issue. 0 kb/s per second writing to the drive but 100% disk usage. Nothing is unnecessarily writting to the drive. Could you try to update your ssd firmware and potentially try another drive to confirm its an issue with the laptops drive?