[SOLVED] System shut down at boot. replaced many parts but still no go.

Dec 8, 2020
I am out of ideas after working on this machine for few weeks. Please help. and thank you.

System was working fine then one day it won't boot anymore.
System fail on boot. When turn on, it will flash normal system boot messages and turns off. All within 3-5 sec after seeing the messages.

After replacing the power supply and mother board still same problem.
Now it shows the message New CPU installed hit F1 to enter setup. Hit F1, gets in bio. machine powers off. So it keep shutting off after 3-5 sec.

Any ideas? CPU went bad?
I tried only keeping 1 ram stick and swap to different graphic cards as well... no dice...

Specs
CPU
AMD FX-9590 Vishera
Motherboard: ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
Replaced to ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+, AMD 990X
Power supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Replaced to Evga SuperNOVA 1600 G2
Graphic card, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 980TI
Rams 4X G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Last edited:
Solution
Put additional cooling on VRM.

rhmZXRZ.jpg
Dec 8, 2020
Cpu overheating, vrm overheating.
What cpu cooler are you using? Could be inadequate cooler, improperly mounted cooler, dried up thermal paste.

Check cpu cooling, downclock your cpu.
CPU can overheat on start? Even the machine been off all night?
I can get in the bios but for 3 sec before it turns off.. so no chance of changing anything...

Dec 8, 2020
Yes, it can - with improperly mounted cooler.
You didn't answer about cpu cooler being used. May be you have no cpu cooler installed at all?
It's using this cooler that came with the CPU. Antec H2O 920
https://www.newegg.com/amd-fx-series-fx-9590/p/N82E16819113351?Item=N82E16819113351

When I open it, the thermal paste was all dried up. Re-apply and put everything back together but still same 3-5 sec turn off. Maybe CPU got fired while the paste was dried.

How often should I reapply thermal paste? Once every 2 years or 5 years?

Should I attempt to replace the CPU cooler with a classic cooler and see if that would help?

Last edited: