May 14, 2021
Yesterday I was doing some casual gaming when my pc completely shut down... Now when I try to boot it up, the fans turn on for half a second then the system shuts down again. For more context...... I built my system less than a month ago and only used new vital parts such as my CPU, Motherboard, PSU.... I can not seem to think why this problem has occurred as my PSU should have been well equipped for my pc needs. AMD 5 3600 (with stock cooler) Gig B550 gaming X Mobo RX 580 4gb Evga 600W 80 PLUS Bronze PSU Note that I do not think it was a cpu heating problem, as I check my temps often and they have always been normal... any help or ideas would be great.

Solution
Gotcha.

The EVGA BQ is better than I was anticipating. I initially thought yours might be a W3, N1, or along those lines units, which are pretty poor. The BQ isn't fantastic, but isn't as bad as those. Generally would be fine for many systems. Doesn't mean the PSU isn't still potentially the issue, but at least we know the unit isn't really bad.

Do you have any spare components to hand? Being as yours literally begins to start then stops could potentially indicate any hardware, from memory, to MB, to the PSU, to GPU etc.

Being as the system just suddenly shut down at 1 stage and now won't start back up, I'd still be leaning towards PSU. But the only way to robustly test this is to swap it for a good quality known working unit and...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Evga 600W 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
I'm assuming this is the full part name in which case, it is poor quality for the EVGA units and could well be the issue. Remember that wattage does not equal quality. You need both wattage AND good quality to ensure stability of your system.

By normal temperatures, what are they specifically? GPU and CPU?

Do you have any spare components to hand?

May 14, 2021
I'm assuming this is the full part name in which case, it is poor quality for the EVGA units and could well be the issue. Remember that wattage does not equal quality. You need both wattage AND good quality to ensure stability of your system.

By normal temperatures, what are they specifically? GPU and CPU?

Do you have any spare components to hand?
This is my first time using this forum site so i hope you are getting this reply..... I shall link the PSU below my reply... For what ever reason I did assume that this PSU was "good enough", but now I understand not to just go by the brand or good reviews. My temps for the CPU where around 40c when idle or just browsing, and around 70/80c when gaming. I never actually checked my GPU temps when gaming but they where around 20c when idle. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/600...sfire-single-rail-50a-plus12v-1x120mm-fan-atx

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Gotcha.

The EVGA BQ is better than I was anticipating. I initially thought yours might be a W3, N1, or along those lines units, which are pretty poor. The BQ isn't fantastic, but isn't as bad as those. Generally would be fine for many systems. Doesn't mean the PSU isn't still potentially the issue, but at least we know the unit isn't really bad.

Do you have any spare components to hand? Being as yours literally begins to start then stops could potentially indicate any hardware, from memory, to MB, to the PSU, to GPU etc.

Being as the system just suddenly shut down at 1 stage and now won't start back up, I'd still be leaning towards PSU. But the only way to robustly test this is to swap it for a good quality known working unit and retesting. Even then there are no guarantees a blown PSU hasn't damaged other components.

Last edited:
Solution
May 14, 2021
Gotcha.

The EVGA BQ is better than I was anticipating. I initially thought yours might be a W3, N1, or along those lines units, which are pretty poor. The BQ isn't fantastic, but isn't as bad as those. Generally would be fine for many systems. Doesn't mean the PSU isn't still potentially the issue, but at least we know the unit is the worst.

Being as the system just suddenly shut down at 1 stage and now won't start back up, I'd still be leaning towards PSU. But the only way to robustly test this is to swap it for a good quality known working unit and retesting. Even then there are no guarantees a blown PSU hasn't damaged other components.
This sucks, I do not have any spare parts as this was my first build. Later I am going to take the PSU out and test it with a paperclip to see if it works... If it does work then i truly will not know what to do, and I may take it to my local tech shop next week.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This sucks, I do not have any spare parts as this was my first build. Later I am going to take the PSU out and test it with a paperclip to see if it works... If it does work then i truly will not know what to do, and I may take it to my local tech shop next week.
The paperclip method only works to check if your PSU can power up and there is nothing obviously wrong, not if it is working correctly or not.

The fact that your PC is starting but then powering down, suggests it can start, but doesn't stipulate whether it's working correctly or not. So even if it passes the paperclip test, doesn't mean the PSU is working as it should.

May 14, 2021
The paperclip method only works to check if your PSU can power up and there is nothing obviously wrong, not if it is working correctly or not.

The fact that your PC is starting but then powering down, suggests it can start, but doesn't stipulate whether it's working correctly or not. So even if it passes the paperclip test, doesn't mean the PSU is working as it should.
Understood completely... Can you recommend any good PSUs???? I was looking at this one that I will link below, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Ce...3?dchild=1&keywords=PSU&qid=1621071891&sr=8-3

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Understood completely... Can you recommend any good PSUs???? I was looking at this one that I will link below, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Ce...3?dchild=1&keywords=PSU&qid=1621071891&sr=8-3
The TX-M is an excellent PSU.

Of course appreciating I am not saying the PSU is indeed your issue, but it is possible. Regardless you never lose out by upgrading the PSU for a good quality, they last longer and are far more protective.

Have you tried breadboarding the system? Effectively remove all non-essentials for booting. Have just the MB, CPU+Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, PSU (and GPU if needed), outside of the case and try booting to see what happens, then try with the other RAM module by itself.

May 14, 2021
I think I will get it... Yes, honestly even if it is not the PSU I did not get a great one to start off with. Upgrading will do no harm.... Once I get the PSU and plug it in I will see if the system works, if not then I will try that method