System shutdown mid game, will not turn on with GPU installed now

msclark3

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
While I was playing a game the system totally shut down as if power had been lost. It would not boot. As in there was no post codes, no fan activity, nothing more than the led on the onboard power button on the motherboard.
I have not gone into the system for months; have changed no hardware, and have not updated any software. When trying to turn on the system the Silverstone plat. 1000w PSU would click like it always does. When repeatedly trying to boot the PSU would only click after unplugging and replugging in the power cord.
Upon close inspection of the GPU pcb, an EVGA 780 Ti, there is no sign of blown caps, shorts, etc. The system boots without the GPU. I have tried the obvious such as checking connections up to 3 times. I have tried the system with a different motherboard, cpu, ram, psu, and hdd. I have also tried reapplying a new cooler to the card.
I suspect the card is dead causing a short in the system circuit where the PSU safety features disallow the system from powering on to protect other components.
Any insight or opinions on what happened is appreciated.

Solution
Test the video card card in another system, if it does not work there, dead card. Or test another video card in yours with the same power draw to see if the PSU is working fine.

Pretty much impossible to say exactly what happened without having an engineer look over the components and see how they look and where the damage is.
Test the video card card in another system, if it does not work there, dead card. Or test another video card in yours with the same power draw to see if the PSU is working fine.

Pretty much impossible to say exactly what happened without having an engineer look over the components and see how they look and where the damage is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS