[SOLVED] System shuts down without warning while playing

Gilly941

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Spec: gigabyte 75lmt motherboard.
2x 4gb corsair ram sticks
Gt 1030 nivida graphics
Local psu 450w (assuming to be the isuse)
Amd phenom x2 555 black edition having the 3rd core unlocked.

Have the above since 2 years.
But now since a few days the pc keeps shutting down(doesnt power on again until i press the power) after a few minutes into games like csgo.
It wont shut down if its kept idle or while surfing the net etc but while gaming.
I tried a low profile game like cs1. 6 that doesn't need high graphics and it lasted about 5 minutes more than the other game but still the same result.
I tried reinstall the graphics driver, cleaned the motherboard board, checked the rams were properly inserted. Still the same.
I changed the case fan feeling its not working properly giving heat issues but no use.
The system temp is at 42-45c and cpu at 72-76c.
Any suggestions on what could be the issue. Could it be the psu??
To note: it just shuts off (no warning or message)

Solution
So i bought a corsair psu but yet it kept shutting down! Got a friend suggest me to see if the thermal paste is out causing extra heat issue , which it was!! Bought a thermal paste and applied between the heatsink and cpu and voila! It now doesn't shut out!
Didn't know a thermal paste could be soooo much useful!!
You should create a bootable USB stick of Memtest86 and run this for 4-5 passes to check for errors on the RAM side of things.

You could also use Prime95 to stress that CPU, and Heaven Benchmark on the GPU. It might become clear that one is more problematic than the other. You can also try disabling the third core to see if the issue still occurs.

Lastly, does that PSU have any label on it with manufacturer and model? Also, how old is it?

Reactions: Gilly941

Gilly941

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
You should create a bootable USB stick of Memtest86 and run this for 4-5 passes to check for errors on the RAM side of things.

You could also use Prime95 to stress that CPU, and Heaven Benchmark on the GPU. It might become clear that one is more problematic than the other. You can also try disabling the third core to see if the issue still occurs.

Lastly, does that PSU have any label on it with manufacturer and model? Also, how old is it?

I tried with 2 cores and its random.. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it goes off.. But with 3cores it definitely goes off everytime i try to play..
On looking closely the psu is actually of intex.. Intex tango plus 450+ given a line that total output will not excees 200w continuous.

Gilly941

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
The symptoms sound typical of a psu that is failing and it is a terrible quality psu. Only way to know for sure is trying a new good quality psu.
I feel so as well.. Just to add i try to do those tests in regards to cpu and gpu but it seems whenever i try and it starts to pick up load it shuts out.. Would that be caused cause psu is unable to provide the power or could it also indicate a mobo issue?

Gilly941

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
So i bought a corsair psu but yet it kept shutting down! Got a friend suggest me to see if the thermal paste is out causing extra heat issue , which it was!! Bought a thermal paste and applied between the heatsink and cpu and voila! It now doesn't shut out!
Didn't know a thermal paste could be soooo much useful!!

Solution
Yeah, if you haven't changed the paste for a long time then a fresh change is very helpful. The cooler might have also been a little bit loose. Nevertheless, that new PSU won't hurt the system... Just means that there is no chance of it blowing up on you! It might have also helped with stability a bit too. Great to hear the system is working now.

Reactions: Gilly941