System shuts down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
I have the following config:
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 b60
Motherboard: Asus, MSA78L-M lx
GPU: Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 gb
PSU 600W thermaltake.

The system with the cabinet closed worked fine while playing games. When its is closed it shuts off.

GPU temp right now eith the cabinate open is min:51, max:75 CPU is 35

the GPU fan blows air downwards direction. and all my fans are on top.

the event manager after shutdowns tells me Kernal pwr error message. No messages displayed while starting the system which indicates a thermal event.

I am really confused as to what can be the issue.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
It is the AC vent. the room temperature is usually 75 to 80 F. and the GPU temp I have given you now are in centigrade.
Also prevously the minimum temp of the GPU was 55 now its around 44 or 45

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hi
The problem of shut down still persists. yesterday My system shut down 3 times. The GPU temp was 74 constant. I am using MSI afterburner to record the temp. after the third start up the temp was around 68~67, and the system didnt shut down.
When the shutdown occurred my room temp was around 80. and when the GPU temps were 67~68 my room temp was 84.

I really don't know what to do now!

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Honestly.. At this point I'm suspecting a faulty Motherboard. It's rare.. But I've seen (especially in a certain HP business model) the motherboard cause unexpected power failures and turn the system off.

You've exhausted just about every troubleshooting method / resource you have available to no avail. I would contact your mobo manufacturer, Explain to them the extensive troubleshooting methods you've gone through. (they will want to blame the psu as we all did because that's typically the issue) But make sure you get them to rma it.

Sucks that it couldn't be fixed any other way. But that's what I believe the issue is..
my .02 cents. Might way for tenpc's comment and see if he has further advice.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Yes I have faced issues with HP MOBO before. It was doing the exact same thing. Read the blogs and found out that others had same problems with the similar mobo. I swapped the MOBO with the Asus that I have now. worked fine for 2.5 years (till now). , for the past 2.5 years.
GPU seems to be fine as I have seen at a lot of places my GPU operates around 80. So I am fine there. changing the MOBO is a mammoth task with os install and stuff.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

If you get the exact same mobo it can be a very simple task. Do a complete backup before you replace it and what would normally be a 4 hour job (installing os updating installing programs etc) will take no more then 20 minutes.

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Hi
Today while playing my system shut down again and this time it would not post any more. I had updated the chipset drivers and the bios. I removed the videocard and the system posted. I borrowed a card gigabyte radeon 7790 I played the game for almost 4 hours the system didnot shut down. Temps were around 61. but the game intermittently forze some times. which didnot happen with my old card. Also while watchin a movie the screen went blank for a split second and then came right back on. I was think of getting the same card but now I am a little skeptical.
But now I know that my video card is bad, But what video card should I go for?
btw I was playing NFS most wanted and testing the card. I played operation red river for a little while just to test the freezing but I guess it was for a very short while.
any thoughts guys?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
How are things? Did you rewolve the issue?
How about another pic so we can see if there are any more things inside the Pc that should not be there...

Can you give details as to what hardware is installed and what type of connector is used?

smielye

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
The issue still persists but very intermittently.
I Installed anew GPU gigabyte radeon 7790 2 gb. and played the system was still shutting down. Called up my motherboard company and updated my Bios. since then the restarts have gone down a lot.
I also changed my PSU to my old one as the new PSU was behaving the same way.
the only pattern of restart is that when I freshly restart my system or bring my system up from sleep. and it shuts off once then when it comes back up again it does not shut off.
the following are the hardwares installed
1. 500GB HDD SATA
2.800Gb HDD SATA
3.DVD Burner SATA
3.gigabyte radeon 7790 One PCI-e
4.External USB HDD 1 TB (with external power)
5.Wireless Key Board and Mouse
6.Bluetooth gamepad
-------------------------------
7.PSU 650 W
8.Phenom X2 650
9.Asus, MSA78L-M lx
10 Memory: 8 gb
-------------------------------
I have tested each component with Asus diagnostics utility and every thing passed.
I really dont know what to do !

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Don't have the external hdd connected prior to boot up or during sleep mode if it is not required at the time, at least remove it for the time being until its use is required and see if the issue persists.

Also, try not to have too many apps open prior to sleep mode.